8 {Alex} 8

We were searching the New Kids' apartment. At least, that's what the other girls called it. They didn't seem much like "new kids" considering they were juniors. Amy said that we could find a hint to where Arry would flee through her stuff. We hadn't learned anything important. Everything I learned, everybody already knew.

I noticed a younger blond girl. She sat teary-eyed on Arry's bed. I set a picture frame down and sat beside her. "I'm sorry," I said softly. "You were really close to Arry, right? What's you're name again?"

She sniffed and nodded. "Julie."

I put my hand on her shoulder.

"Get away from her," a voice growled. I looked up to see Hope Solo storming through the doorway. I would never forget Hope Solo's name. She was the big, bad goal keeper. Nothing got past her. She was the steel wall behind the brick wall and scary as hell. "Come on, Julie. I don't want you anywhere near her." Kelley O'Hara trailed behind her. She looked uncomfortable.

Julie tried to protest in my defense. Hope ignored her and focused on me. "You screwed the Heath's over in one night. Don't you dare try to do it to Julie."

My eyes were wide with fear. "I—"

"Hope, knock it off. Alex didn't do anything," Tobin intervened, squeezing her way through the doorway. She put herself in between us.

Hope's fiery eyes flicked to her. "Get out of my way, Heath."

Tobin said, "Hope, Alex isn't the cause of all this, and you know it. You just need somebody to blame."

Hope tensed noticeably. Kelley looked like she wanted to comfort her, but didn't move her arms to touch her.

"I know you love Arry," Tobin said. I couldn't see her face, but it made Hope's features soften. "Taking it out on Alex isn't helping."

"She's Julie's best friend," Hope said stiffly.

Tobin nodded. "I know."

"She buys lunch for kids who can't afford it." Her fists tightened at her sides.

"I know," Tobin's voice is tight. She has to be strong for Hope. If she breaks down, so will Hope.

"S-She loves the color green." Hope's eyes shut tight. "We're both addicted to gambling, but she's so much better at staying away from it. She's so innocent."

Bam!

Everyone flinched at the sudden movement, than sound. When I opened my eyes, the one I thought made the noise was still. Her eyes were shut.

Tobin's wrist was out of sight, her hand swallowed by the wall. Dust from the wall blew in puffs. White crumbs littered the hardwood. Before anyone could say anything, Carli Lloyd appeared. She insisted that Hope come and relax. Of course, Kelley followed, being her girlfriend. Julie followed, looking guilty and worried.

Tobin still leaned against the wall, her breathing heavy. It was just her and I. Alone. Again. My heart was beating faster than it should.

She slipped her hand back. More sickening crunching and dust filled my senses. She said, "I'm sorry you had to see that Lex."

The way the nickname rolled off her tongue was so simple, yet it complicated everything. She turned to face me. Her eyes looked at me uneasily. I walked over and picked up her hand. Her knuckles were bleeding and her fist was definitely gonna bruise. Gladly, nothing was broken. "Don't be," I said.

She pulled her hand away and pressed it to her lips. Her eyes were filled with shame.

I didn't believe in love at first sight. Tobin definitely caught my eye when I first met her. I mean, her and her sister were both good looking. In fact, many of the girls on the team were. How that was possible was beyond me. Something about Tobin just shined through.