Chapter 1

I was trying my hardest not to step anything that might scare my prey away, walking on the patches of snow while scanning where the Season Deer is. 'There it is'. I loaded my bow with an arrow and aimed at it. I was so sure that it was going to hit but the deer sensed the arrow coming. A block of ice appeared in front of the deer, it stared at me before hopping away. There goes my dinner.  I said sighing.

You may think, how is it able to do that? As you can see, this world is not the normal world you are accustomed to. A world where magic exist. That deer is called the "Season Deer" because it adapts itself to what time of the season it is now. If I was able to kill that thing, I'll fetch up a lot of money. Not just for the meat but for the others too especially its heart. Its heart can help upgrade a weapon. I can chase after it but it will be dangerous especially after knowing that I'm hunting it, the deer would raise its guard up. Magical beasts are not ordinary, they are much more intelligent than ordinary ones.

I sighed in defeat and walked home. I'm living on a small shack in the edge of the forest together with my mother and father, my brother too but he's not staying here currently because he is at a magic school.

Oh, I'm Skylar Evans, but my family calls me Sky. I'm 15 that's why I can't go to school yet. You see, not all people are gifted with magical abilities. A human will know if he reaches a certain age which is 16 years. It will be my birthday tomorrow, we have to go to the city to see if I have the aptitude in becoming a magician.

It's a bit unfair for others who doesn't have abilities. I guess this is how the world was meant to be especially if humans made up 60% of the worlds population. If all humans do have abilities, then it will be a massacre. It did not stop them though. Actually, the world is in chaos right now. All the other races are hiding afraid of being captured.

"Mom?"

No answer. I just shrugged and go straight to my room to change. I go straight to the kitchen to cook. I don't know if it is my ability but whenever I try to learn something, I can master it easily, which is very useful in daily life. For example, when I was ten, my father taught me how to use the bow. After using it for the first time, all of a sudden I understood everything.. Everytime I use a bow, there's this imaginary angles that would pop up into my mind, because of this I am able to hit any target accurately.

There's also this one time when mother taught me cooking. After one attempt, I became the best chef in the household. I always follow my minds suggestions about add this and that. Tadahhh, the best cuisine ever. Because of that, I'm now in charge of cooking.

It's a convenient ability for daily life but it's far from powerful. For example my brother, he's got this ability where wings would pop out behind his back which can able him to fly. Not only that but he also has super strenght. To make him even more powerful, he also has telekinesis. Sometimes I get very jealous and I would wish that my abilities are the same as him.

I was about to start cooking but then I found a note from my parents.

Hey darling, we are at the city waiting for your brother. He's coming home to  accompany you when appraising your ability. Prepare some food for him. We will be back soon. Love you.

Okay. Time to get started.