Prologue

Prologue

She stood near the window, her breath fogging up the frost-covered pane. It was a cold day, and her teachers were talking inside the classroom, and she was trying to eavesdrop on their conversation.

"Mais ils sont prets!" (But they are ready!) For what? The girl thought, confused.

"Nous devons leur apprendre à réellement défendre!" (We need to actually teach them to defend!) the girl stood, worried. Were they entering into a battle soon? She took out her mahogany wand gingerly out of her burlap bag. If they were, her wand would have to be in good condition.

"Vrai, vrai, bien. Mais les filles vont accepter toute cette formation dure?" (True, true, alright. But will the girls accept all this hard training?) Nervously, the girl opened the door and stepped inside. Immediately the teachers stopped their bickering and shared uneasy looks.

"Bonjour, Camille. Est-ce que tout va bien?" (Hello, Camille. Is everything alright?) The young, pretty French student, called Camille, stepped inside the little room, and shook her head, her lips forming a pout.

"Non, professeur, cette feuille de calcul est beaucoup trop dur!" (No, teacher, this worksheet is much too hard) cried Camille, upset. The teacher gave her a sympathetic look and helped her with some of the problems. Camille left the room soon after, with confidence in her charms skills. However, she was still a bit suspicious about what the two teachers had been conversing about earlier.

Nevertheless, Camille skipped home, a teen, to the little chateau her family owned a little south from Beauxbatons. The road, bumpy from many fresh tire ruts, was an interesting path to take, as it would wind miles and miles down to places never traveled. She opened the door hesitantly, and there stood her mum. Today was the last day of school, and she'd been sure that the teachers were talking about next year's work/defense/practice or whatever it was.

Her mum was a pretty, respectable lady. She worked as a wizarding lawyer at a nearby law firm, and had long, light brown, almost blonde locks with big, full green eyes and a heart-shaped mouth. Her little sister, Amelie, had inherited her good locks from their mum, while Camille took after her dad, a tan, blonde accountant for Gringotts, as one of the few wizarding folk that worked there. He often came back from Scotland to visit, and today was one of them.

"Ah, Camille ! Comment était l'école?" (Ah, Camille! How was school?) Camille smiled reluctantly and told them about her day. Her parents shared looks and Camille waited expectantly for their news.

"Donc, vous vous souvenez comment vous n'aimez pas Beauxbâtons?" (So, you remember how you do

not like Beauxbatons?) Camille nodded. Beauxbatons was often not the best place to go to, as there were many bullies and biased teachers. Also, the boys there just weren't hot! "Eh bien, nous vous transférons à Howarts School of Wizardry , en Ecosse," (Well, we are transferring you to Hogwarts School of Wizardry, in Scotland )

Camille was ecstatic. She'd heard of Hogwarts school. They said that it was the best wizarding school, by far. "Est-ce que je commence là au début si l'année prochaine?" (Do I start at the beginning of next year?)

Her parents said yes. "Votre petite soeur, Amélie, sera à partir de sa première année là aussi!" (Your little sister, Amélie, will be starting her first year there, too!)

Camille grinned. This would be great, after all, Dumbledore was at Hogwarts, wasn't he? She'd heard bits and pieces of gossip in the UK wizarding newspapers that he was offered position as Minister of Magic, but instead declined and the helpless wizard Cornelius Fudge became the minister instead. He must be a great man, she thought to herself.