Chapter Four |Year Three|

***

The next day, Amelie Briar Santerre rose up and early, to see that her roommates were all still fast asleep. She yawned, and dressed, slipping on the new green-and-silver sweater she had been gifted the day before, paired with black capri leggings. Admiring herself in the mirror, Amelie had to admit she liked the Slytherin colors.

And the Sorting Hat really was honest! Amelie did take pride in many things.

The young student brought a book into the common room, and checked the time. About thirty minutes were left until breakfast started, as it was about quarter 'til six in the morning. She settled down with one of her favorite muggle books, a book called Where the Red Fern Grows. Sure, it was pretty gruesome, in a ruggedy woods kind of way, but Amelie enjoyed it.

Amelie's solution to every mishap, every misdeed, every troublesome act, was to impoverish herself with books. Books were amazing; she could sink into a good book and not worry about life around her.

Unless Draco Malfoy suddenly invaded your privacy in the common room.

"What're you reading?" a voice came curiously from around the boys' dorms. Amelie looked up irritably, barely tearing her eyes away from the engrossing novel.

"Where the Red Fern Grows," she stated impatiently, and set her nose back into her book. Draco frowned. He wanted to get her attention; only how would he, with Amelie acting like this?

"I've never heard of it,"

Amelie's head whipped back up, and she looked extremely aggravated. "I'm trying to lire here!" she snapped crossly. She contemplated responding or not, then turned her head slowly towards Malfoy again. "Of course you haven't. It's a muggle livre," she said matter-of-factly.

Draco was intrigued. No Sytherin girl had ever treated him like this. Pansy was his regrettable arm candy, Astoria and Daphne Greengrass were two total ho's, Tracey admired his attractiveness silently, Millicent Bulstrode was like an overexcited fangirl everytime she saw him. Alexandria Pucey played "hard-to-get" with him, (although Draco really didn't care) and Hayley Flint was a sassy weirdo, who was loud, boisterous and really needed a bra.

"What's a livre?" was all Draco could think of to say.

Amelie scowled. When would he shut up? "A, um, book. Now please leave me alone!"

Draco retreated silently, defeated in his fight for attention from the mysterious new girl. Amelie was a puzzle to him; however, she was a blood traitor, like the Weaselbees, and he would certainly not fraternize with one of those filthy pure bloods.

Amelie, later, when there were only ten more minutes left until breakfast, Amelie walked to her dorm groggily. She hadn't gotten enough sleep, and was extremely tired. Pansy was already awake in the room, and she snarled at Amelie as she entered the room. Amelie met her gaze warily and headed over to her area in the room.

She grabbed her cloak, and raced downstairs to exit the common room and head to the Great Hall for breakfast. Although Amelie wished to taste her mum's delicious frog legs again, for now, croissants, bagels, and assortments of candy would have to do.

When she got into the Great Hall, she took a plate of breakfast goods, then did something a Slytherin would never have dreamed of doing. But then again, this was Amelie. She was obviously different. Amelie gathered her things, then led herself to the Gryffindor table.

"Bonjour, Hermione!" said Amelie pleasantly and sat down next to her new friend. A boy sitting across from Hermione looked shocked.

"Slytherin, are you lost?" asked the boy politely, but under that pleasant veneer she could sense hostility. "The Slytherin table is over there," he said, gesturing towards the Slytherin table.