Chapter 28-A Dragon Amongst Snakes

Chapter 28: A Dragon Amongst Snakes

...

Bastian was getting bored. His attempt at improving his reaction speed was becoming more and more pointless as time went on, because Tate's swings became slower and easier to predict.

This was not only because the giant was tiring, but also because Bastian's eyes were adjusting. Thus when Bastian saw that Tate had stopped, he decided to put an end to this farce.

Bastian's mind had finally returned to what could be said to be a good place but he was still not his usual self.

Be it Bastian from Earth or Sebastian from the Sovereign Continent, both were very calm and hard to anger. They were very passive in terms of emotions and would never get enraged in the truest sense of the word.

Now that the two personas had fused, they had changed each other. Bastian had come out on top over his far younger companion. Thus, it was more accurate to say that Bastian had devoured Sebastian. Either way, the new Bastian was different from both of his former personas. One of those differences was about to come out.

This new aspect of the new Bastian was ruthlessness.

Bastian Smith was kind hearted, Sebastian Tirius was also soft. Yet when both souls fused and bore a third, much darker side.

Bastian's wisdom and knowledge of the human mind, coupled with Sebastian's knowledge of the true nature of the Sovereign Continent, had led Bastian to a conclusion; Kindness to your enemy is cruelty to yourself.

Tate was a stranger to Bastian. He did not know the man. But Bastian would not hesitate to kill the giant, especially considering that his survival hinged on this battle.

So why had Bastian not killed the man now that he had no use? The answer is simple.

"Old man, I am about to kill you, but before I do I need you to help me out with something, and tell me where I am. Specifically what Country and City this is."

Bastian's question baffled the audience. What kind of person would request a favor from someone he was about to kill? Especially in such a nonchalant manner.

Bastian's face was no different from the face you would have when you were talking to a friend.

He had a smile that was not a smile. His expression was relaxed and he had his guard down.

The audience knew very well that Bastian was relaxed because he had Tate within the palm of his hands. But his shameless act of asking a favor from a man, whom he had just toyed with and was about to slaughter, had surprised quite a bit of people.

The smarter people in the audience, people like Kai were speechless for an entirely different reason.

He doesn't know what country he is in?

Bastian looked very relaxed, and he had asked what country he was in, as if he was asking for the time of day!

Absurd, just who is this youth?

"You are in the Blue Seas Alliance, in the City of Yani."

"Hhmm what is the date?"

"The 1st of May 4130 E.D."

"Hhmm that's good. Thanks for helping me out. I owe you one."

"Nonsense, it's the least I could do, after all. You are helping me."

At Tate's odd statement, Bastian merely shrugged.

Meanwhile in the booth containing Kai and his Master...