Chapter 82- The Heavy Flash

Chapter 82

The Heavy Flash

...

Bastian stood at the entrance of the arena, as focused as he had never been before.

Before he had walked into the arena, nothing had felt strange, everything had seemed normal to him. However, the moment he stepped into the arena, the moment he saw his opponent, everything changed.

His opponent was very mysterious. It was a person draped in a hooded, dark cloak from head to toe. The opponent was also quite short. Bastian already knew this much, because, like him, this opponent had been a wild card, an unexpected and unheard of opponent who had cruised through the competition.

Everyone assumed it was a woman, due to the painted fingernails that would sometimes protrude out of the cloak. They had decided to call her the Heavy Flash. The reason for this was due to her particularly odd fighting style.

She was a very quick but abnormally heavy warrior. So far, no one had been strong enough to reveal what attribute she was, but due to her abnormal speed, most were leaning toward water. Bastian thought the same, until he saw her. The moment he did, he activated his e-vision and was surprised. To his surprise she was an earth attribute warrior. A short, female expert with the earth attribute was not something one sees often in the cultivation world, but this was not the reason Bastian was so focused.

Ever since his contract with Kenshin, Bastian has been in a constant state of fear. His senses were always alert, in a seemingly irreversible fight or flight mode. Perhaps it was due to the ghost-like creatures that were now hounding his soul as well as Kenshin's, whatever the cause; Bastian was now very accustomed to the fear.

Thanks to the darkness he experienced when he made his contract with Kenshin, Bastian was somewhat able to adjust to being in this state. It was very uncomfortable at first, but he got used to it. At some point, being afraid became a part of him, so he had now forgotten what it was like to not be afraid. To Bastian, it was now the most natural thing in the world.

This feeling had never made him uncomfortable again...until this moment. The moment he laid his eyes on Heavy Flash, fear tightened its hold on him and reduced him to a mere shadow of his former self. It made his skin crawl and made his senses go into overdrive.

Yet it wasn't just fear, there was something Bastian couldn't quite put his finger on that was disturbing him. Something about Heavy Flash that made his hairs stand on end.

"What's wrong with Bastian?" said Shasha as he watched the proceedings with the others.

"I'm not quite sure either, but I have never seen Sir Bastian so...focused. It's almost as if he is-"

Before Guy could finish his sentence, Kenshin interrupted," Afraid."

As soon as everyone heard these words, they were astonished. Shasha, Kai, Guy and Tino felt that was an absurd thought. To them, Bastian would never fear anything; Guy and Tino aside, Kai and Shasha believed that Bastian had no sense of fear or danger whatsoever.

To them, he was a person who didn't take life seriously and was nonchalant about anything he wasn't focused on. Recently they had seen a change in him but still they had never thought that they would see the day Bastian would be afraid, whereas Tino and Guy were surprised due to a completely different set of reasons...

Bastian swallowed his saliva and stiffly walked onto the arena. Shouts of 'Tempest Monk', which were normally deafening to his ears, were completely nonexistent as he stood in front of his opponent.