Chapter 1

There was only one word to describe your life as of right now: hell.

But it was strange. You never thought of hell as being so cold and numb. And you figured that after you died, you would have to suffer eternal pain. After all, the poor didn't deserve to be anywhere else, you thought bitterly to yourself even though you were just barely conscious. And I have nothing... not even a warm place to sleep.

It was indeed cold outside, as it was just beginning to start the cold months of winter. It was a terrible time to have your home raided and get thrown out for not being able to pay the fees in order to stay. Just one night ago you would have at least been able to use a blanket to fend off the nipping air. But the soldiers had seen to it that you would be left with nothing.

Anger swelled in your chest as you think about what those awful men have done with your once peaceful village. They have raided through not even a month beforehand, separating the poor from the rich and creating despotism. Innocent families were thrown into the streets. Orphaned children like yourself who had been living alone in the homes they grew up in were forced to leave. A majority of those people and kids died from their lack of protection against harsh weather, leaving only a few left who were able to fend for themselves in the streets. How you managed to stay as long as you did in your original home was a miracle, but it was inevitable that you would be thrown out as well.

Your body continuously shivered despite the blood boiling from the fury inside you. You let out a weak cough before pulling your numb legs to your chest in a feeble attempt to generate heat. Before long, snow began slowly falling around you.

You felt as if you wanted to cry. Usually at this time of year, you would have welcomed the snow, watching it fall and examining its beauty. Never had you once thought of the dangers that it could bring with it. Never had you once thought of the people who couldn't afford a shelter to stay in, to keep warm. And never had you even once thought that maybe you could someday be one of them. Until now.

You raised your trembling hands to your mouth and attempted to breathe a tiny bit of warmth onto your fingers, which were now turning white. The heat lasted for not even a second, disappearing as your skin met again with the icy atmosphere. All that you managed to accomplish was nothing except a puff of steam rising into the air. You knew for a fact that you would never be able to survive the night. You knew you would be dead by morning.

Silently, you hugged your legs tighter against your stomach and rested your forehead on your knees. Tears began to swell in your eyes, stinging as they slid down your cheeks, raw and red due to the cold.

Your body losing heat by the second and your mind slipping in and out of consciousness, you hadn't noticed yourself falling hard onto your side. You hadn't noticed the scrape on your face, now dripping with fresh blood that was freezing onto the gravel of the street. You hadn't even felt the pain.

You had given up.

Now you just waited. Waited for death to take you as far away from this horrible place as possible. If any luck, the soldiers will find your frozen corpse by the next morning and get rid of it before anyone else sees it. One more won't matter to them.

"Whoa. Is she dead?"

Your eyes cracked open just enough to see someone crouched down in front of you, but your brain was still too hazy to identify who it was. You moved your fingers just enough to let whomever was there know that you were, in fact, alive. Your could hear the person let out a small gasp before you felt yourself being pulled carefully upright so that you were sitting on your knees. If you weren't so weak, you would have probably been surprised at the person's reaction: staying instead of leaving in disgust.