Chapter 12

"I told you... I'm going to see Hyungwon."

You scowled in disbelief, shifting so that you completely blocked the front door which  unfortunately served as the only exit in the house. Eighteen, you counted in your head miserably. Eighteen times Minhyuk's left me behind to visit Hyungwon.

Minhyuk gently tried pushing past you, but you stubbornly stood your ground, refusing to let him slip by. You needed him to understand that you were upset with him and he apparently wasn't catching on. He let out an exasperated sigh and crossed his arms, giving you a frown of his own.

This had been happening ever since the fire. After all the events that occurred, you and Jooheon had tracked down one of Doctor Chae's medics and let them take over caring for your friend. Hyungwon had protested, wanting to cling to the two of you like a child to his parents, but no matter how heart wrenching the separation was, you had to see Minhyuk.

He was still in custody of the soldiers when you found him, being restrained until he was considered calm enough to handle his overwhelming emotions. Then you brought him home, almost immediately passing out as soon as you returned. However, you hadn't gotten the chance to check up on Hyungwon again earlier.

The first time you noticed something was off with Minhyuk, he had answered a question you didn't know he would have the answer to. You had asked no one in particular if Hyungwon and his father had moved, curious. Minhyuk had told you they were staying in a house not too far from their old one, but Doctor Chae was almost always gone.

Minhyuk had also told you he was running errands when you questioned him about his absences throughout the days that followed. You figured they had to do with the 'secret' medicine project so- since he didn't realize that you already knew about it- you let him go. But then you noticed that when he was gone, the disappearances were short and frequent instead of long like they used to be. You grew curious fast. You had to know what was going on.

So today, the third day, you stopped Minhyuk as he was about to leave. It was a lucky chance, especially since he always managed to slide out without being noticed.

He huffed and blew a few strands of his pale blonde hair out of his dark brown eyes. "Are you stopping me because you don't want me to visit him? I'm flattered by the attention, but (Y/N)... he's been though a lot. And as much as I want to stay here to keep you company, I have to take care of him too-"

Your (E/C) eyes narrowed and your knuckles were starting to turn white as you grasped the door frame tighter in frustration. "That's not what I meant so stop trying to guilt-trip me."

Minhyuk didn't respond with words, instead feigning a sarcastic look of innocence that said: 'Guilt-trip? Me? I would never' and then scoffed. He reached out suddenly to try and move you out of the way, but you instinctively dodged his hand.

"Why won't you let me go?" The boy whined, withdrawing. "It's almost like you're holding me hostage."

You took a deep breath. He's not leaving without answering your questions and he can't slip through your fingers no matter how hard he tries to weasel out of it. "You always leave me behind," All the thoughts that had been clawing at you for the past few days immediately began to spill out of you like a river now that you had the chance to talk to him. "Every. Single. Time. You also try to leave without me noticing. Are you avoiding me? Are you trying to keep me from seeing our friend? Minhyuk, you're not the only one who cares and this isn't about you. I have to see him too. I have to make sure he's alright-"

Minhyuk interrupted your small rant with a wave of his hand. You thought you caught a glimpse of desperation in his eyes as he said, "I promise. Everything's fine. Stop worrying."