Chapter 7

Seven Months Ago

You slowly made your way along the dark road, your only source of light a mixture between the few dim street lamps and the moon above your head. Since it was so late, it seemed as though the streets were totally lifeless, everyone having retreated into the safety of their homes to hide from the unknown dangers that lurk in the darkness.

You moved quickly, your thoughts straying every once in a while, but mainly focusing on finding the person you were looking for. You remembered how Minhyuk had told you he was going to be gone for a bit, leaving you alone in the house. You hadn't thought anything of it since it became a normal thing over the past few months: him going out on his own without you. You figured it was for personal reasons or so that he could have some time to himself. Either way, you grew more and more curious over those few months, but avoided nosing around in his business.

This time was different. It wasn't like Minhyuk to stay out past dark, but he didn't come back yet and you became extremely worried, eventually deciding to search for him yourself. Now, you were rushing across each street, scanning everything in your field of vision.

Your footsteps were loud, the soles of your shoes grinding against the hard gravel. A few times, you had even called out his name, but you were met with nothing except the silent air. It was a miracle that no one else heard you as well.

After moving around for the past hour all the while hoping desperately that you would find something, you had just about given up. You leaned against the side of a random building, its features hidden by the black night, and you rested with your hands on your knees, trying to catch your breath. It took you a good few minutes before your ragged breathing blended back into the quiet atmosphere surrounding you.

You had just decided to head back to your house, praying inwardly for Minhyuk to be there when you returned, when you heard a noise. You froze immediately, straining your ears to try and catch anything else. You didn't wait long before you managed to hear something: a hysterical laugh in the distance followed by the sounds of a few others. You identified that the voices were male, but not just any...

Your eyes widened as you recognized those voices. Without hesitation, you quickly guessed which direction the noises were coming from and took off, not caring anymore about making an effort to keep from waking the dead town. As you ran along past a couple more alleyways and blocks, a smile of relief had crept onto your facial features and you let out a small chuckle. You were going to find him and bring him back so you could finally get a good night's rest.

It only was a few more moments before you easily reached the source, but as you slowed to a stop, your smile faded into a frown when you laid eyes on the building the voices were protruding from. Why would they be in a green house? What business could they possibly have in there?

You realized that this wouldn't seem suspicious to anyone except you. After all, Minhyuk had deliberately excluded you from joining him, therefore giving you a perfectly valid explanation as to why you were genuinely confused at this sudden discovery.

No doubt you were curious to know about what he was hiding. And judging by the multiple voices that could be heard, he wasn't the only one in on this secret. You felt slightly betrayed that he didn't let you know about this and was trying to hide it from you. You took a cautious step forward towards the door that had been left wide open. A bright, flickering light shone through the open doorway, illuminating the ground a few feet outside the door.

You moved quietly so that you wouldn't be discovered. When you reached the door, you slowly and carefully peeked around the corner, almost immediately letting out a short gasp.