Chapter 16

The cold air felt absolutely intolerable against his exposed skin, nipping and biting at his flesh while he tried his hardest to make his way through the never ending labyrinth of streets and alleyways. Earlier that day under the cloak of morning darkness, Changkyun had taken the liberty of informing Kihyun about the plan that had finally been finalized only weeks prior, saying that it was soon they would be putting it to action. How soon, Kihyun wasn't told, nor did he know if their plan would actually work since it was all based on luck.

After his talk with Changkyun -who disappeared insisting he prepare for their impending departure -Kihyun had traveled back to retrieve a vial of their medicinal concoction and a mini bouquet of the blue flowers. He wanted them to be prepared even though he knew that doing so was extremely risky. But by this point, everything they did was risky.

Now he could feel the wind rippling through his dingy, short sleeved shirt, the unraveled threads trailing in the breeze while he stumbled hastily over the gravel path. Kihyun's eyes watered as the air stung him and he squinted in order to keep his vision functional. Everything and anything he could think about was on his mind, rushing in and out like waves hitting a rocky shoreline. Memories, questions... and it was the fear of being caught by the military officers that kept his adrenaline spiked and his feet moving.

He hated those men with every fiber of his being. They treated people who weren't worthy enough like dirt when they demanded respect in return. It was a disgusting and vicious cycle of aggression that only ever ended in suffering for those who try to change it.

At that, one specific memory entered Kihyun's mind. One of a blindingly bright smile that rivaled the sun and of hands that held him with a love that he would never be able to experience again. The sound of his rushed footsteps tapered off as he slowly faltered in his path, heart aching in his chest and moisture starting to gather in his eyes. Halting, he leaned against the brick wall next to him, using it to both catch his breath and hold him up before his knees gave way.

It was her that he was picturing in his mind. His mother. Everything in him wished for her tender embrace and soft words. Over time, he had tried to fight the pain that built inside him and ignore the urge to think about her. Of course, after her disappearance he had to find a way to keep on living - even without her- and eventually falling into new circumstances and a new routine didn't leave much else for the brain to contemplate. He moved in with Changkyun and Wonho, who - while they weren't completely open about their pasts - had experienced similar scenarios explaining the absence of their families.

Now, she was all Kihyun could think about. When she was here, life was all smiles and laughter and warmth that helped immensely to block out the negativity drowning out everything else around them. When she was with him still, things hadn't quite gone wrong yet, but people were talking, predicting something that was about to take place. When things finally did go wrong, that was when he lost her and his world that was barely being held together by the seams finally ripped apart.

Kihyun felt terrible, his fingers curling into a fist that tightened until his knuckles turned white with the strain. His breathing went from short, ragged breaths to deep, heavy breaths as he fought his hardest to control his emotions. It was a losing battle.

"Hey! You!" A gruff voice reverberated off the deteriorating buildings, causing Kihyun to freeze, eyes wide, and his heart plummeting to his feet. Sneaking a glance behind him, he saw three officers following him into the alley looking none too happy.

On instinct, Kihyun straightened and bolted the rest of the way out of the alley, turning the corner and praying that he would be able to lose them by the time they reached the street.

He didn't get far. Unbeknownst to him, another soldier had positioned himself on the other end, prepared to strike in case Kihyun tried to escape. He only realized this at the last second when he was caught by the arm and thrown against the bricks of the building, stunning him as he let out a gasp of pain. His vision blurred for a moment, returning only to greet him with the sight of all the officials gathered around him, the leader kneeled down so that they could be face-to-face.