Chapter 10

The two of you ran as fast as your legs could take you. In your desperation, you could only concentrate on the worry spreading throughout your being, terrified of what you might find once you reached the fire. You prayed that your friend was okay, that it wasn't his home. A sneaking suspicion in your gut told you otherwise.

"This way!" Jooheon called from behind you before passing you easily and darting around a corner. You followed suit, trying hard to keep up.

The sky above you was already dark, the sun letting few spare rays loose before disappearing completely. It terrified you, but not because of darkness. It was because you could see everything around you clearly, as if the sun hadn't gone at all. The fire's light illuminated the buildings you passed, creating long shadows and silhouettes. It intimidated you.

You heard the shouts of panic and mayhem as you neared. They became more distinct. You could tell that the two of you were already close. You saw people fleeing the scene out of the corner of your vision, but you didn't dare stop to ask one of them about what was going on. It was dangerous. That much was obvious.

At one point, when you and Jooheon cut through a familiar abandoned alley, the light was cut off. It left you in pitch black. Jooheon's body blocked the glow at the other end, using it to navigate. You couldn't see a thing in front of you, but you listened carefully for Jooheon's footsteps. When the two of you finally broke free of the dark, you were immediately flooded by a harsh brightness, the sudden contrast leaving you blind.

A terrible heat met your exposed skin, scorching you. You let out a yelp and bumped into Jooheon who was rubbing his irritated eyes. The awful stench of gasoline met your nose, causing you to choke on the putrid fumes. The air surrounding you was stuffy and smoke was hovering around your heads, stinging your eyes and throat. It was horrible. You felt like you were in hell.

Jooheon grabbed your hand and pulled you behind him. He didn't want to stop and he couldn't leave you behind. He debated having you stay in the cool, dark safety of the alley. However, he knew you would follow as soon as you were impatient enough to brave the atmosphere surrounding the fire.

He was just as scared and worried as you, maybe more since he's known Hyungwon for longer. He just wanted to make sure his brother was safe.

The light of the blazing inferno cast a crimson glow across your faces and against everything else surrounding it. Glass shattered nearby and rained down across the road. People ran around in various directions, frantically pulling the building's inhabitants out and away from the deadly wreckage.

Jooheon's heart broke when he spotted the familiar lanky, dark figure stumbling outside, having to be assisted by a military officer.

Before Jooheon could stop you, you ripped yourself from his shaking grip and pushed forward to pass him. He quickly grabbed your hand again and let you drag him behind you, refusing to stop. He almost tripped as he noticed the three other forms lingering on the outskirts of the chaos. Jooheon tugged at your hand and pointed over to them, offering you a confused look, but you simply shook your head. There were more important matters to deal with.

You were the first to reach Hyungwon. He was hunched over and his dark hair, damp with sweat, stuck to his forehead. Seeing him on his knees and coughing up the horrible smoke that had invaded his lungs, caused a storm of emotions to ignite behind your eyes. You didn't hesitate to reach out and help his singed form to his feet.

Your throat swelled up and you couldn't tell if it was from the smoke or if it was from getting emotional. You swallowed harshly.

"Hyungwon!" You managed to breathe out, your voice wavering. "Oh my god! What happened? Are you injured badly?"