Chapter 13

The shock was too much. All her limbs were numb; she wouldn't be able to move even if she wanted too. Short breaths were the only sounds that escaped her lips, almost like thunder against the painful silence that shrouded the entire house.

He was gone.

Hyungwon was gone.

Everything seemed to darken around her as a heart-wrenching sob tore from her throat. She tried her hardest to hold it back, stifling her mouth with her hand, but to no avail. She suddenly stumbled forward, legs caving, and she collapsed in tears. She barely caught herself before she could hit the floor, her hands clawing at empty air until she successfully gripped the side of the tub.

Minhyuk only watched her, frozen as tears started to sting at his eyes. He didn't dare move to rub them away. He was more terrified at the fact that the girl in front of him was wailing uncontrollably, tears of her own pouring down her face like a river. He's never seen her cry. Not once.

"How?" She whispered, hoarse. "W-why?"

The 'how' was pretty obvious, but for the 'why' he had no answer. Minhyuk lowered his head, not able to bring himself to look at her. (Y/N) let out another cry and blindly searched for Hyungwon's hand within the dark water. His skin was cold to the touch, causing her to flinch when she finally grabbed hold of it.

"Please," she whispered to him as if she thought he could still hear her. She gently pressed his hand to her cheek, stroking the back of it with her thumb. Words tumbled out of her mouth, completely inaudible as she grew more and more grief-stricken.

He wasn't going to wake; it took all of her remaining rationale to willingly admit that to herself. He would never breathe anymore. His steady heartbeat would never resound in her ears ever again for the rest of her life.

By now, she was shaking uncontrollably while she felt as though she was drowning in a pool of her own emotional grief. She wanted to scream to the winds with frustration.

"He's gone," Minhyuk reminded her softly when she had calmed down somewhat. He slowly approached her side and kneeled down. He didn't want to pull this next move, but he felt it was necessary. He pried their hands apart. Almost immediately, she shook her head whispering "no" repeatedly in a low-spoken chant. Tears continued to stream down her face.

Minhyuk grabbed her before she could snatch Hyungwon's hand again and he pulled her away from the calamity. She staggered back, weakly attempting to fight her way through his strong grasp in vain. It didn't take much to keep her in his hold. He gathered her in his arms like she was weightless.

(Y/N) recoiled, ripping herself from his possession and rounding on him. With narrowed eyes and a scowl on her lips, she gave Minhyuk a shove that sent him stumbling backwards a few steps.

"You," (Y/N) snarled. "Stay away from me."

Hurt and confusion flashed behind his eyes at the harsh tone. He tried to extend his hand to her, but froze when she only created a larger distance between them. Her distrust towards him was so obvious; it practically seeped out of every pore in her body. "Why are you-?"

"Don't talk to me," she snapped and hugged her arms close to her chest. "Lies. They're all lies. I can't take anymore. I can't live like this."

So many things seemed to be wrong. Her friend wasn't supposed to die. Minhyuk wasn't supposed to keep all his secrets to himself. It was impossible not to finally let him know how betrayed she felt. If only he could have shared his problems with her. If only he could have relied on her...

Now she could sense it.

Ever since (Y/N) lost her parents, she worked hard to build up her strength. She wanted to believe that she would never be in as much pain as she had suffered when they left. It was what kept her alive. Now she was breaking. Her empire built on appearing impenetrable was crumbling down. She was crumbling down.