Chapter 8

A loud rapping against the door snapped Shownu out of his silent brooding. It had been over a half an hour since (Y/N) had left, yet her words still continued to ring through his head, stinging him. She was the youngest in their group, but there were times when her words were far too wise for someone her age to speaking. Was it just a natural girl thing? Shownu didn't know.

The tapping on the door occurred again, this time accompanied by an impatient voice. "Shownu, come on and open up. It's Jooheon."

Shownu stirred slightly, but remained seated in front of his grandfather. Only one thought was stuck on his mind, bothering him. "Is (Y/N) out there with you?"

When Jooheon's voice returned it sounded confused. "(Y/N)? No, she's not."

"Do you see her on the street?"

A moment of silence as Jooheon quickly scanned the surrounding buildings before replying with, "No".

"Just stay out there and keep your voice down a bit," Shownu instructed. "She might be watching."

Jooheon thought it was impossible to be even more confused than he already was, but he managed to prove himself wrong. He sighed. "Okay fine, but I just wanted to let you know that I finally got my hands on one. I don't have it right now so I'll meet you in the alley on fifth in about an hour."

Shownu sat in silence, his eyes staring at nothing and waiting for Jooheon to leave. The sounds of footsteps never came however, instead receiving another exasperated sigh through the door. Obviously, Jooheon was starting to lose his patience.

"Look, I get it if you want to back out, but just weigh the pros and cons. You can either keep your pride or you can finally cure your grandfather. You're choice. Either way, I'll wait in the alley and if you come, we'll do it and if you don't, I'm heading home."

And that was it. Jooheon didn't waste any more words or anymore time, finally walking away to leave Shownu alone with his thoughts and his decision.

Shownu leaned forward for what felt like the millionth time to rest his head in his hands, his eyes blinking tiredly as a wave of nausea hit him. Everything that (Y/N) had told him earlier made sense. It wasn't fair for him to treat people this way, especially his friends. The past year he had been blaming himself for his grandfather's sickness, but he had kept his guilt bottled up to avoid receiving sympathy.

On the other hand, he also knew that it wasn't entirely his own fault. He had brought his grandfather to be treated multiple times and even though they diagnosed him with something serious, nothing was ever done to help him.

Shownu's eyes narrowed as he recalled the conversation with the doctor. Hyungwon's father. They were told that he would've been able to be cured had they possessed the money to pay for it.

They were turned away.

They were rejected.

These thoughts alone were enough to rekindle the burning fire inside of him, causing his anger to flare up and consume him once again. His hands clenched his hair tightly, his body trembling uncontrollably. At this point, all words of wisdom that (Y/N) had given him left his mind, replaced by cold hatred. He tried blocking her out of his brain and shakily lifted his head to stare at the man lying stagnant on the bed next to him.

"I will help you," he whispered, the intensity of his voice masking his pained emotions. He knew that his grandfather couldn't hear him, but he spoke more to reassure himself. "I'll do everything I can."

Shownu stood up and spent the next five minutes nervously pacing and planning for his meeting. He would need to leave soon if he wanted to be there on time, maybe even showing up before his friend. Also, Jooheon said that he finally had one, which was good. It would make everything easier. But what if someone finds out who they were and what they had done? What would happen then? Would their other group members be disappointed or would they understand that it had all been for a good cause?