Chapter 4

It had been two days since the incident with the soldiers and Hyungwon's father. Every time you thought of it, you felt sick to your stomach. Even though you tried not to remember the events that occurred, your mind still subconsciously drifted back to it, making it impossible for you to forget.

How the merchants had expressions of fear spread across their faces as the military assaulted them for no reason.

How Hyungwon's face became swollen and red because he stood up for what he thought was right and received punishment.

After Hyungwon made you his promise, your group of friends quickly dispersed in order to let everyone have a chance to take some time to comprehend what they had witnessed. Minhyuk had spoken to Hyungwon afterwards, offering to help in anyway he could, but Hyungwon refused, shaking his head and declaring that the only thing to do was face his father and accept the consequences. Minhyuk had no choice but to leave him with his decision, taking you home instead. The walk back was silent, but not awkward, as you were both lost in your own train of thoughts.

Thankfully, the blue flower was never mentioned during the confrontation, which meant that his father either didn't know about it, or he was waiting to bring it up. Hopefully, he was never told, but it wasn't guaranteed which was why everyone was worried.

However, several things still bothered you. What did Hyungwon's father mean by "his" soldiers? Does he have a large influence in the military? Is he associated with the government somehow? But isn't he a doctor? And what did he do to Shownu to make your friend hate him so much? Thousands of questions swam through your head non-stop, nagging you and confusing you to the point where the only thing you felt you could do was sit in silent contemplation, blocking out everything else in the world around you.

Minhyuk had tried several attempts to get you to open up, but you had just brushed him away each time. He would always leave you alone after sensing your obvious discomfort and waited a few hours or so before coming back to ask again. You knew that you were worrying him like you always seemed to do. The only time you acknowledged him was when he suggested walking around, saying that it was an activity that relieves stress and helps people think.

Taking his words to heart, you spent the next hours pacing around the small house that the two of you shared. Though it was small, the house was made up of two levels. Minhyuk stayed in the bottom level and you stayed on the top, making it seem as though you had your own separate, personal apartments.

Hoping to sort out the inner turmoil that was now giving you a headache, you focused on the things surrounding you to distract you, but there wasn't really much to focus on because of how pathetically empty the house actually was. Dust covered every wall and window, cobwebs strung up in the corners. At the moment, a small bed frame with a grungy mattress was pushed to the very edge of your room in order to give you enough space for your pacing. You and Minhyuk, like everyone else in your broken society, only owned what you needed such as things like food, blankets, and the occasional change of clothes though that didn't happen often. Clothing was extremely rare so when you did manage to find some new ones, you made sure it was something that was durable and could be worn for a long time.

Suddenly, you heard the loud sounds of floorboards creaking, signaling that Minhyuk was climbing the stairs and approaching your doorway. Your head swiveled around and a look of annoyance flashed across your features when you realized he wasn't even trying to be subtle about it. Proving your suspicions, you saw him peek into the room out of the corner of your eye. You ignored him as he stepped inside, a small smile on his face. Minhyuk's smile grew bigger when he saw you walking towards him, only to fall immediately after you turned your back to him to walk in the opposite direction. He signed in exasperation and ran a hand through his already messy blonde hair.