Chapter 1

Kat
July 3, 2005

*

Same day

*

Family only.

They didn't care that I drove as fast as I could to the hospital.

Family only.

They didn't care that his family isn't here.

Family only.

They didn't care that he has touched both our lives in ways we could never explain.

Family only.

I've never wanted to be someone's family as much as I do right now.

Please let him be okay.

Sitting in the hospital chair that has become my home, I watch Nate stand, wincing at his groans. I am not looking forward to moving, since I've been curled up into a ball for hours, trying and failing to sleep.

I close my eyes, to once again pray to the God I've ignored for so long. Please let him be okay. I'll do anything, please just let him live.

The same mantra repeating in my head from the moment I found out about the accident.  I know it's selfish, but I need him to be okay.

"Kat?"  Cole is standing in front of me, wide eyed and confused.  When did he get here?

I jump up, ignoring the objections from my stiff body, throwing my arms around him.

"Oh my god! Cole?" My voice is scratchy from crying all night and I probably look deranged at this point. I don't even want to look in a mirror.

Please let him be okay.

"Hey, what's going on?" Fortunately Cole looks to Nate, because I'm not sure I can say anymore.

Nate steps forward, to give Cole a short bro hug with two pats on the back. "They won't tell us jack shit, Kid." 

He would never say it, but I know the gruffness in his voice comes from a night filled with tears and pessimism. I can't even imagine what he's going through right now after listening to your best friend's screams, completely helpless on the other end of the phone.

A man in a white coat appears, heading directly for Cole.  "Mr. Alexander?"

Cole's demeanor changes completely. The scared kid replaced with a confident man, firmly shaking the doctor's hand.  "Yes, Dr. Young.  Tell me what's going on."

Could this really be the Dr. Young, the best neurologist in the state? According to the latest reports, he may even be the best in the country. His name has been splashed all over the news, his brilliance is unrivaled in his field.

Why would he be here in this hospital? Is he here for Ben?

Please let him be okay.

"Of course, sir. Please, come with me to discuss this matter privately." The doctor throws Nate and I a look of mild annoyance, before returning his attention to Cole.

"Whatever you have to say can be said here." Cole crosses his arms over his chest, leaving no room for argument. 

"Sir, I'm afraid I must insist-" The doctor motions towards the doors we aren't allowed access to.