Chapter 6

Kat
July 4, 2005

*

Same day

*

"Just give me a chance, please." A familiar male voice pleads, sending dread throughout my body.

"Listen, I've told you-" Vanessa comes into view, standing to full height, stabbing a finger in David's stupid face.

He looks the same as usual, slightly disheveled in the most casual dress clothes he can get away with, khaki pants and a white button up shirt. He has always had a natural attractiveness with his evening stubble, crooked tie and natural bedhead. His carefree attitude draws you in and when you aren't paying attention, it will undo you.

"Please. I still care, you know I do." No, he's a liar. Don't let her believe him.

"No! What I do know is you're fill of shit, a cheat and a fucking asshole! You can go-" She stops at the sound of Nate clearing his throat, both of them turning their attention to us.

Crap. I should have left when I had the chance.

"Um, what is Professor Gulso doing in your dorm room?" He looks from me to Vanessa for an explanation, but neither one of us respond.

"What does it matter to you?" David looks at Nate with mild annoyance. "You aren't dating, are you?"

"As a matter of fact we are, so you can leave." He steps forward, his short, intimidating body filling the space around him, making him seem dangerous. "And, if you're here to get sexual favors from either one of these girls, I will break your fucking neck."

"Listen, dude." David holds up his hands in surrender. "It's not like that."

"Oh right, you just visit all your students alone in their dorm room. I'm sure you're just tutoring them a little, right?" If only Nate knew just how right he is. The thought of it makes me sick to my stomach.

"No, I just-" He tries to defend himself, but Nate isn't having it.

"I swear to god, if you even thought about touching Vanessa, I will destroy your career." He's huffing, ready to take on the world to defend her honor. It's pretty sweet, in a cave man kind of way.

"Vanessa?" David's confused face matches Nate's as they realize they weren't talking about the same girl.

"Nate." I place my hand on his arm, hoping to calm his unnecessary anger. "David is here to see me."

I pull my hand away as soon as I see Vanessa bristle and her eyes widen slightly. She's trying not to have a reaction, but I can tell she's upset.

Crap. She doesn't think I'm trying to steal Nate, does she?

"David?" In trying to diffuse the situation, I seem to have only made it worse. Nate's eyes are wild, as he tries to understand. "Who the fuck is David?"

"I am." David crosses his arms, but stays in a relaxed stance. "Teachers have first names too, you know."

"Don't you dare talk to me like I'm an idiot, you condescending prick." Nate lunges forward, jabbing his finger in David's face. He's so upset his face is practically glowing red. "And the same threat still applies, dipwad."

"Threat?" David seems almost amused and not concerned at all with the hulking figure who could easily take him.

"If you even think about touching Kat, I will end your career." I'm touched that he's trying to defend me, just wish he had been here a year ago.