Chapter 18

Ben
December 31, 2005

*

Same day

*

I had most of it figured out, but then Red sent us a picture of the letter, which really helped speed things up. As soon as we had solid evidence, we drove straight here.

I knew she had stalled getting Kat ready for as long as she could, but damn.

Kat looks amazing.

I mean, she always looks amazing, but the outfit she's wearing now is so different from how she normally looks. This suits her personality more than the flowery dresses or baggy T-shirts she's always wearing.

She looks like a grown up woman who works at a bank, or some shit like that. I would totally start banking there just to see her. I would totally find some reason to go in every day. 

I knew she'd try to run when she saw me, but it didn't make me feel any better when it actually happened. I know she thinks she's protecting me, but what she doesn't realize is, I don't care about any of it. All I want is to protect her.

Her eyes dart up to meet mine when I grab her arm and I'm reminded of a frightened animal when it's been cornered. I hate holding her here against her will, but I can't let her leave until I tell her everything.

"Come with me, Kat." I tug, as gently as possible.

"Like I have a choice." In typical Kat fashion, she rolls her eyes at me. I've missed her so much. I can't believe I'm standing next to her right now.  She continues to try to pull her arm away, but I don't let go.

Now that I finally have her, I won't ever let her go. Well, figuratively, of course. Literally never letting her go would be kind of creepy and honestly, a little difficult to accomplish. 

"For Godsakes woman, for once, just listen to me. Please." Her eyes go wide, but she nods, giving up on trying to pull away.

Finally.

She follows me to an empty, more secluded, table.

I sit across from her, so I can see her face better and gauge her reactions. I feel like I've been given a new life, just sitting here like this with her.

Just to two of us, like it's meant to be.

"So..." Nate plops down in the seat next to me.

Mother fucking fucker.

And of course, Red slides in next to Kat. What the hell?

"God dammit guys, seriously? Can't we get a little privacy?" I sigh, rubbing my hands down my face.

"What? I want to know what's going on. Besides, you wouldn't even be here if it weren't for me." Red crosses her arms and gives me a smug smile.

Oh great. Shit is about to hit the fan. Red and her big fucking mouth.  

"Wait, what?" Kat looks so completely flabbergasted, that I almost feel bad for coming here. "You knew about this? You lied to me?"