Chapter 3

Kat
July 3, 2005

*

Same day

*

"Oh my god! Are you okay?" I look up to see Vanessa a second before her arms wrap around me.

I sigh, breathing in her hair. She knows just how to make me feel better. I should have told her sooner.

She pulls back, looking at my face. "It's gonna be okay, Katie-bug."

I feel the tears forming, as I try to hold them back. They fall anyway.

"How do you know?" I whisper, unable to bring myself to raise my voice any louder.

"I just know it. You guys are meant to be." She gives me a sad smile.

How can she talk about meant to be when she can't even figure out her own love life?

"Like you and Nate?" I roll my eyes, suddenly feeling annoyed.

"Maybe. You never know." She glances around the room as though this is the first time she realized we might not be alone.

"When did you get so... inspirational?" I feel like her weirdness deserves a laugh, but I can't bring myself to make that sound.

She shrugs. "Guess after almost dying, nothing seems like that big of a deal. Either it happens or it doesn't."

I glance over at Ben. "This feels like a pretty big deal, Ness."

"Oh, no!" Her face falls. "I didn't mean this. I just meant Nate... or whatever else my future holds. You know, whoever."

She's terrible at being nonchalant. She obviously wants Nate back, but like always, she's hiding behind a facade. Although, this time she's failing miserably. Or maybe I'm just getting better at reading her.

"Right." I'm not sure how to draw her out from hiding at the moment, so I just let it go. I don't have the energy to deal with their relationship drama at the moment.

"Should I leave?" Her eyes dart around the room again.

"He ran home to shower and get clothes, if that's what you're asking." I normally should smile and tease her for being so obvious, but I'm just not feeling it right now.

"He who?" She fiddles with her bracelet, a sign that she's nervous.

The doorknob clicks, signaling someone is entering the room. Vanessa jumps up, moving to stand next to me. I guess I'm going to protect her?

At the sight of Cole, she sits back down and continues assaulting her poor bracelet. What is going on with her today?

"Hey, have you seen-" Cole walks in, clearly distracted before realizing we aren't alone.

"Oh, hey Vanessa. Good to see you?" He grimaces. "Sorry. That wasn't a question, it is good to see you. You just caught me off guard."

"Hey Kid." Vanessa gives him a quick hug before returning to my side. "It's good to see you too, just wish it were under better circumstances." She looks at Ben, wiping a tear away.

Cole glances over at Ben, but only for a second. "Yeah, me too."

I've noticed he hasn't really looked too long at his brother since he got here. He's probably trying to hold it together since he's the responsible one.