Chapter 12

Ben
September 1, 2005

*

Same day

*

There. I said it.

Stupid Cole. Not like it's going to change anything.

She never really loved me. She left me when I needed her the most.

These last few months have been hard enough, but trying to get over the only girl I've ever truly loved has been worse than any physical injury.

So why do I have to sit here and take this?

Oh right, because Cole is being an ass. He had the nerve to threaten me. Not physically, of course, because I could easily take him. No, he pulled out the big guns.

Telling Mom my secrets.

Kat's voice, the one I've longed to hear for so long, pulls me in like a fucking siren's song luring me to my death. "But, I didn't run. I mean, literally, I guess I did, but not from you. I mean, not emotionally, anyway."

What the fuck?

"Then where have you been?" I can't help the annoyance in my voice. There's no fucking way she can deny this. I was there and she was definitely not.

She gestures around her room. "I've been here, but-"

"No, no buts! You knew where I was. I couldn't leave." I can't believe she's even trying to deny this.

"I know, but-" There she goes again.

"I said no buts!" I'm trying to control my temper, but she's driving me crazy. She's too close. She's too beautiful. She smells too good. I just want to reach out and touch her, but she broke my fucking heart.

I need to get away from her. She's messing with my head. She always has. My Hurricane.

"Ben. Your turn is over." Cole sighs, rubbing his temples. Like he has any right to be annoyed with me. Jackass. "Kat, why don't you tell us what happened."

"Okay..." She takes a deep breath, but doesn't look away from Cole. I already miss seeing her eyes. Fuck. Get it together, man. "I got your message that Ben woke up, so I rushed over there to see him."

"Bullshit." I can't stop the word from coming out.

She glares, but at least she's looking at me again. "I went to open the door, but Samantha was in there."

"So what?" I scoff. That bitch was always there.

"So, I heard you confessing your love for her and asking her to stay with you. She seemed pretty agreeable. I didn't want to ruin your moment." She adds air quotes around the word moment. "So, I left."

God, she's fucking adorable. Even after she broke my heart and straight face lied to me just now. She's still my Beautiful Hurricane.

"Why didn't you tell me, Kat?" Cole moves to sit on the other side of her, comforting her like the betraying bastard he is. "All these times I've messaged you, you never said anything."

"What the fuck, Cole? Are you saying you believe her?" Well, so much for being on my side, bro.

"Why would she lie?" Cole's voice is calm and reasonable, which only annoys me more. I feel the complete opposite.

"Oh, I don't know. To make herself feel better? To make me the bad guy? How do I know?" I could probably name some more if I was thinking clearer.