Chapter 5

Kat
July 4, 2005

*

Same day

*

The sound of the door clicking open draws everyone's attention. Dr. Young must have slipped out at some point as he's now entering the room followed by Dr. Boldt.

Dr. Young focuses in on Ben's mom, ignoring the rest of us. "Mrs. Alexander."

She steps forward, placing her hand in his without hesitation. Something about their demeanor feels as though they know each other personally. "So good to see you, Dr. Young. Just wish it were under better circumstances, of course."

"Yes, of course. Would you care to discuss your son's condition privately?" He releases her hand, as he motions towards the door.

"Oh, why yes." She follows him out of the room, leaving us with our mouths hanging open, exchanging glances. Dr. Boldt is left to trail behind them, clearly forgotten and unimportant.

I stand, suddenly feeling the need to be anywhere but here. "Uh... Maybe I should go."

"No, you shouldn't." Nate's booming voice drowns out Cole's soft response.

Cole clears his throat before speaking again. "You don't have to, but maybe you should run home for a bit to shower and change. They could be a while." He nods his head towards the door.

"Are you trying to say I stink?" The first smile in days dances on the edges of my lips, but I just can't bring myself to truly enjoy any moment.

"Well, I wasn't going to say it..." He shrugs, smirking just like Ben always did.

Like Ben does.
Like Ben will hopefully do in the near future.

"Okay, fine. No need to spare my feelings or anything." I throw on my jacket, wishing I had Ben's with me instead.

Nate grabs his keys. "Come on, let me take you."

"It's fine, I drove here." I wave him off as I search for my phone.

"I know, but let me take you, please." He grabs something off the counter and hands it to me.

I can't help but roll my eyes as I take my phone from him and slip it into my jacket pocket. "And who said chivalry is dead?"

Nate bows low in front of me, gesturing towards the door. "After you, fair lady. My chariot awaits."

"Why thank you, good sir." I curtsy and walk past him, out the door.

Nate rushes around me to throw open the passenger side door, again bowing low. "Your high-ass. I mean highness." He chuckles, pretending to be embarrassed by his "mistake".

I stare at his massive truck, unsure of how I can make it up in there. Is there some kind of trick to it? "Well, do you have a step stool or are you going to kneel on the ground so I can step on your back?"

"Here." He steps behind me, grabbing me around the waist.

Before I can scold him for his awkwardness, I'm sitting in the truck. "Uh... Thanks?"

His cheeks are bright red as he hangs his head, staring at the ground. "Sorry, I always had to help... you know."

And suddenly it all makes sense, he's only taking me to the dorm because he's hoping to see Vanessa.

I wait until he's in the truck before I try to give him some encouragement. I can somehow let him know she still cares without completely selling out my friend.

"She came by, you know?" He looks at me confused as he buckles his seat belt, so I explain further. "You know, to Ben's room."

"She did?" He looks hopeful, for the first time in days.

"Yeah, while you ran home. She said she wanted to avoid seeing you, but I think she might have been hoping to." I might be wrong, but it seemed like she was waiting for him.

He just grunts and starts the truck. Well, there went that conversation.

The ride back to the dorm is silent, except for the quiet hum of the radio. It's so low I can't even make out the words, but it's oddly comforting.

When we pull in, Nate turns the key off, but doesn't move to get out.

I unbuckle my seatbelt, looking at him as he stares straight ahead. "You coming in?"

He sighs. "I don't know."

That phrase sounds so weird coming from him. Nate seems to always have some sort of plan. It's hard to believe he came here without any ideas. "You don't know?"

"She's got me so fucked up, I don't know what to do anymore. Do I fight for her? Do I give her space? Do I let her go? What do I do?" His eyes plead with me, as I feel the air being sucked from the small cab.

It's hard to breathe, I feel like I'm suffocating under his gaze. What do I tell him? What can I even say?

"Maybe you should ask her." I shrug, hoping he stops looking at me like I can solve all his problems.

He gives a humorless chuckle. "Yeah right, like she would just tell me."

"You never know." I give him my best half smile. I'm sure I just look deranged, but he smiles back. Either way, it worked.

He taps his hands on the steering wheel several times before unbuckling his seatbelt, and throwing open his door. "Fuck it."

Before I can ask if he's going for it or not, he's opening my door, extending his hand to me. Maybe chivalry really isn't dead. Having someone anticipate my needs is pretty nice.

Clutching onto his hand, I pull myself, ungracefully to the ground. "Thank you, good sir."

"Sorry about my big ass truck." He chuckles, closing the door behind me.

The more time I spend with Nate, the more I enjoy his personality. He's not someone I would have chosen to spend my time with at first glance, but what do I know anyway? "It's okay. I think it suits you, you know? It seems sturdy and reliable."

He bows again, but I can see his cheeks glowing red as he directs me to the walkway. "After you, my lady."

Leading the way to the dorm room, I feel uneasiness settle in the bottom of my stomach like a weight, pulling me down to reality. It was easy to say she still cares, but the truth was Ness is difficult to read. What if I completely misunderstood her signals? Crap.
This is either going to end really well or in a complete disaster.

Swinging open the door to the building, I'm incredibly grateful Vanessa took a summer course and the school allowed her to stay in our room. I did not want to make the drive back home today.

After what feels like an eternity of stairs, we reach the dorm I've called home for a year. It feels good to be back.

Turning my key, with Nate directly behind me, we're greeted by a deep, manly voice.

Oh no.