Chapter 14

Ben
September 9, 2005

*

One week later

*

After spending all weekend together, I haven't been able to see my Little Hurricane all week. We stuck to just talking thanks to my stupid brother who just couldn't take a hint.

Or maybe he knew and just wanted to screw me over. Except not literally, nope, no screwing, at least not in my room.

Why is he here all the time anyway? Yeah, sure, he sits in a few classes, but he's in highschool. He really needs to just stay home.

And I really need to see my Beautiful.

She's been busy studying, or so she says, but I have a feeling she's just avoiding me. I'm not sure why, but it ends today. It's finally Friday and she has no excuses. Now I just need a plan.

It has to be really good.

The last date I tried did not go very well, she hated it before it even happened. I mean, who doesn't like bowling?

Is there something else we can do where I can stare at her butt all day? Hmm, maybe mini golf?

Nah, she probably hates that too.

I should stick to something simple, something basic. Something like dinner and a movie.

That's it!

I'll just do that. Get flowers, maybe some chocolate, treat her like a queen. Girls like that, right?

She can't get mad at me for spoiling her, can she? No way! This is a great plan.

Now, I just need to get her to actually go. This may be the hardest part. I'm going to need some help.

Shit.

Picking up my phone, I dial the one person who seems to hate me for no reason.

Here goes nothing.

The line clicks, but there's no greeting. There's nothing but faint background noise to let me know she hasn't hung up yet.

Then I hear it.

The voice that soothes my soul and makes my heart race at the same time. In the back is my mind, I know I should just hang up, but that thought is drowned out by the sheer excitement I feel at the sound of her siren's call.

I've missed her so much.

Red's voice is muffled and hard to understand, but Kat's replies comes through clearly. "I mean, I love him, but I just... I don't know."

Holy shit. Is she talking about me? What doesn't she know? Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

This is bad.

There's another voice, that I can't quite recognize. "I know what you mean. I'm just not sure if Luke is The One."

"What? Are you serious?" Red screeches in my ear. She must have shifted the phone or something.

Jesus. She's so fucking loud.

"I mean, how do you know?" The voice I now assume to be Sophie is so faint I can barely hear her.

Shit. Poor Luke.

"I thought you guys were perfect together, so how the hell should I know? I think I've just lost faith in love." I sit with my mouth hanging open as Red continues this fucking depressing conversion.