Chapter 3: Choice

It was the day of the choosing ceremony, but I was running late.

"Where are my shoes?" I said, searching frantically around the room.

"I'll bring them right away milady."

The castle maids were very formal and efficient. I have no idea how long it will take me to get used to someone calling me 'milady'

"Thank you, Beatrice."

Beatrice was one of my ladies in waiting. She was in charge of anything I needed. She came back with comfy looking shoes and I slipped them on, just as Andrea came to get me for the choosing ceremony.

The choosing hall was large and lavish. It was like a medieval version of an auditorium. I was instructed to stand on the stage. I was standing with about 30 other people, who were all also choosing their schools today. I had realized that they were all at least 4 years younger than I was. The fact that I was hiding in exile really slowed me down...I guess I'm just going to have to work twice as hard to get ahead.

The ceremony began after all the guests sat down. In the front row sat all of the professors: Lydia Greyrose for Thaumaturgy, Dalia Falmea for Pyromancy, Haleston Balestrom for Divination, Cyrus Drake for Conjuring, Arthur Wethersfield for Sorcery, Moolinda Woo for Theurgy and finally...Malorn?! Wait a second...he's the Necromancy professor?

"Welcome to the annual choosing ceremony. I am King Merle Ambrose for those of you who do not know, I am also the headmaster of the esteemed Ravenwood School of Magical Arts. Choosing your school is a decision that will impact your path on life, so trust in yourself and in the book and you should be fine. The book of secrets will inform you what school is yours at the end. So, without further ado, let the choosing ceremony begin."

Gamma started calling out names alphabetically; each person steps forward and touches the book, a magical screen appears and shows you what's happening, during their test, since the test is in the subconscious. Student after student took the test, but I realized that no one chose death...that's weird.

"Emily EmeraldGarden"

Okay...I'm up. Alright, I can do this. I walked up to the book and touched it, my mind began filling with images from my past. Both here in Wizard City and back on Earth. Then everything went black.

When I came to I was standing in an eerily familiar apartment...fuck...well at least this test has a fucking sense of humor.

"Hey beautiful, long time no see."

I turned towards the voice, already knowing who it belonged to. My hands were going to cup his irresistible ivory face on instinct, but I quickly stopped myself, clenching my fists at my sides. A look of sorrow was present on his face.

"I hurt you..."

"No...you did me a favor."

I couldn't help the bitterness in my voice.

"...I broke you, Angel. You used to have this light in your soul, and now it's gone...because of me...and I deserve to die for it."

He quickly brought out a sword from its sheath and sliced it through himself. It happened so quickly that I didn't realize what he'd done till he fell to the floor groaning in pain.

"EDWARD!"

I rushed to his side and tried to apply pressure on the wound so that he wouldn't bleed out. Tears were pooling in my eyes, but I refused to let them fall. I'm not weak. I refuse to be weak. Suddenly I realized that he had gone terrifyingly still. Then his body began to convulse in a way any normal person would have found difficult to watch, but I stood my ground and kept applying pressure to the wound.