Chapter 26: The Ashthorns

I was in a state of utter disbelief as my eyes flitted from Malorn to James and back to Malorn again. Who were still looking at each other with deadly glares, neither moving to say a word. I scoffed audibly, having had enough of the silence.

"Can someone please explain what the hell is going on? How do you two know each other?"

Malorn's gaze met mine for a moment and I could see his eyes soften for a split second, he sighed heavily, answering me.

"Emily, meet James Ashthorn." He turned his chilling gaze to James' again. "...My brother."

"Y-Your what?"

I turned my shocked face to James, to confirm. His silence was all the answer I needed. James looked back at me in confusion.

"How do you know him?"

"He's my..." I found myself at a loss for words for a brief moment before shaking my head. "He's a part of my team."

James looked at me, really looked at me, then his eyebrows slowly climbed up his forehead as he came to an astound realization. He pointed at his brother while addressing me.

"If he's part of your team that would mean..." He turned to look at his brother, then back at me. "...That you're the Princess of Wizard city."

It wasn't a question.

"I am."

He looked down at the floor, shaking his head in disbelief before letting out a sigh.

"Well that's about as many revelations as I can handle for today."

He stalked off, towards the Palace doors. I called out after him.

"James!"

He ignored me, going up the stairs and into the Palace, leaving me alone with Malorn, who was quieter than usual. He was staring at the floor with an indecipherable expression. I sighed.

"Mal."

"I'm going to go find our rooms."

He stalked off, leaving me with an acute sense of Déjà vu. I sighed heavily. Well this is a ripe mess isn't it? Why do they hate each other so much anyways? Why does Malorn never talk about his brother? What is so bad that it causes two brothers to not stand the sight of one another? Does this have something to do with that phone call I overheard in Marleybone?

I sat down in the same position James and I were in earlier; in front of the Moodah statue, contemplating my options, when a recognizable lilted voice came from behind me.

"You're admiring nature...?" I turned to look at the familiar blonde, who had a smirk with underlying affection on her face. I could sense the genuine worry in her tone as she continued. "Should I be worried?"

I got up from my sitting position to hug my cousin as I spoke.

"Never."

She sighed pulling away to look back at me.

"I saw what happened, you okay?"

"Me? Why wouldn't I be?"

"Well I'm assuming Malorn's brother is the guy you were telling me about."

"So...?"

"He's Malorn's brother."

I sighed heavily.

"...Yeah. I sense that's going to be a problem."

She simply raised her eyebrow in a look that basically says 'you think?'