Chapter 31: Syl

I paused to look back at the looks of horror that had crossed all of my friend's faces. I bit my lower lip in frustration. "That's not even the worst part...he tried and failed. He turned her into a wraith."

Even Malorn looked distraught at my words. James looked back at me and his brother. 

"Can he even do that? Bring her back from the dead?"

I nodded.

"Theoretically, yes, if he had enough power."

Malorn continued on my thought.

"...But there's always a price."

James' face fell.

"Thus the wraith...poor Syl."

"Wait...you knew her?"

He nodded.

"She helped me...a long time ago."

Malorn scratched his chin, totally disregarding his brother's words while he paused to think out loud. "Malistaire didn't succeed...so I can only assume that he's here looking for another way to bring her back." He paused before looking back at my face, eyes narrowing. "What aren't you telling us?" I looked at the ground, finding the floor pattern seemingly more interesting than it actually was.

James eyebrows shot up as he realized something. "...Where is she, Emily? Where is Sylvia?" I kept my eyes rooted to the ground. James' voice got more imploring. "Emily."

I steeled my spine, turning my gaze to James' eyes which were now an emerald tinted blue before turning to Malorn to gauge for his reaction.

"She's in the spirit world."

Malorn's scowl deepened, as he looked at me with a metallic gaze, already knowing what I was thinking.

"Don't even think about it." he shook his head. "Not gonna happen."

James looked back at me with furrowed eyebrows, mirroring Malorn's concern.

"You can't possibly be thinking of...going back there...can you?"

I remained quiet; giving them my answer, before they could protest Andrea's voice rang with a shaky whisper. I could feel her intense gaze on me.

"Back there...?" I looked up to meet her eyes which were slightly glistening, almost as if she were on the brink of tears. They never came; instead she swallowed and steeled her spine, attempting to keep her unbridled emotions in check. "Explain. Now."

I nodded.

"Okay...I went to the spirit world, when we were in Mooshu."

"B-but the only way to go to the spirit world is..." Her horrified gaze met mine; I nodded as I averted my gaze and bit my lip. Her next question came out as she quivered, a single tear rolling down her face. "Why?"

I gave her an apologetic gaze, feeling like shit for being the source of her pain.

"It was the only way to save the Emperor."

She angrily wiped at her tears with her sleeve, as she answered me angrily.

"Screw the Emperor. You could have died!"

"But I didn't."

"But you could have and now..." Her eyes widened at me, eyebrows furrowing as she trailed off, before continuing. "Now you want to go back for Sylvia don't you?" My silence was all the answer she needed, yet she felt the need to re-ask me the same question, with desperation crawling into her tone. "Don't you?!"