Chapter 14: Affection

My vision was starting to blur, pain seeping from the tight hold on my fragile neck. Without warning Malorn shot out a surge of death energy at the General causing him to drop me to the cold ground with a thud, gasping for air. He then quickly brought out the Seal of the Fang and flashed it at the General, whose entire presence calmed at the sight of the Seal.

"You bear the Seal of the Fang. I did not realize you were friends of the Order...I apologize, Wizards."

Malorn got a superiorly dark look in his icy irises, looking like he was about to gouge the General's eyes out. Not that I need him to, I'm plenty capable of defending myself.

"Oh that makes it better." I drawled, shooting the general a poisonous look, before forcing myself to calm down. We don't have time for pointless entanglements. "Whatever, it's fine."

Malorn snarled at General Khaba, ice forming after every word.

"No, it isn't."

I gave him a warning look, gently touching his forearm to calm him down.

"Being asleep for so long would make anyone jumpy."

Malorn grumbled under his breath, but otherwise said nothing. The general looked grateful for my mature handling of the situation.

"Thanks for understanding. Now tell me wizards...what events occurred during my great sleep?"

Malorn and I looked at each other and I decided to let him take the reins on this one.

"The Tuts are awake."

The four words held more weight than they had any right to. The General looked deeply troubled by the news, clenching his fists into balls.

"If only we had succeeded in crushing them earlier..."

"We can defeat them, now."

"You're right. We must prepare for battle! I hope I will not fail, but first I need my sword."

I was suddenly aware of the object in my pocket and brought it out, turned it back to its original size and handed it to the General.

"My sword! Thank you, Wizard. Go and tell Shalek the wise, that I am once again ready to lead the fight. I'll stay here and rally our forces."

We nodded and teleported to Shalek, giving him the good news.

"Excellent! You found the Great General Khaba and returned him to the fold. Perhaps the sleep had no ill effects against the Order. We may very well defeat the Tuts for good this time!"

My phone beeped as I got a text from Nolan.

Got Khai - N

"We will. Khai Amate is back too."

"Perfect! With both the General and Khai Amate back, we now have four core members of the Order of the Fang, reunited in purpose! You should head back and rest, you've had a long day."

"And what will you do, Shalek?"

"I will meet with the other Order members, we'll devise a plan."

"...Very well."

So we had time to kill, do I really want to go back to the house? A few hours with Malorn don't sound like the worst thing in the world. Ugh...no. I meant it when I said I'd keep my distance. That is exactly what I'm going to do.

"I'm going back to the house. I'm beat."

He regarded me skeptically but let the matter drop with a shrug.