Chapter 28: On Death's Doorstep

Malorn and I regarded James with wide eyes, his words registering. Malorn spoke first, already calming down and looking for a logical way through this.

"There's no other way?"

James shook his head no. Malorn sighed heavily, pinching the bridge of his nose in frustration.

"Well then there has to be a way to die and come back...right?"

James looked back at Malorn, expression morbid.

"The old fashioned way, we can restart a heart with magic, but it'll need a lot of magic, two of us at the very least. Life magic is vital to bring someone back but..." James sighed heavily before continuing his thought. "There's like a 95% chance we won't be able to bring whoever goes back."

"What's that statistic depend on, brother?"

"Magical Strength."

I chimed in, having been quiet this entire time.

"Then I'll go."

Malorn's eyes went wide with disbelief before his expression turned into a disapproving scowl.

"Not an option."

"Mal-"

"No. Not a goddamn chance."

"It makes sense! I'm the only person who's strong enough for this to work."

He shook his head, his expression as stubborn and closed off as ever.

"No."

"You know this is the best option."

"It isn't."

"Yes it is."

"No."

"Malorn..."

"No. I'm not going to let you die."

"Look at the bigger picture!"

"I am. Are you?!"

"That's enough!"

James' bellowing voice cut through our mini-fight, causing us to go silent, mouths snapping shut. He then roughly grabbed my wrist, pulling me to the very end of the wooden platform, far out of earshot.

"James' you're hurting me."

He looked down at his iron tight grip on my wrist before letting go, sighing heavily and pinching the bridge of his nose in frustration.

"And how do you think I feel?"

I paused, taking a good look at his expression, which was morose.

"...James?"

"You can't..." he sighed cutting himself off in an attempt to collect himself, but I could see the emotional toll this entire ordeal was taking on him. "I can't let you do this."

He looked down at the ground, almost scared to meet my gaze. I reached up cupping his face with my right hand, forcing his gaze upwards.

"Hey, hey."

I gave him a look of understanding, reaching up on my tiptoes to kiss him. When I pulled away, he leaned his forehead against mine, reaching his arms around me pulling me tightly to him, I could feel him shake slightly. His voice came out as barely a whisper.

"I don't want to lose you."

I pulled back, looking into his sincerely solemn gaze.

"You won't." I swallowed, thinking about the enormity of what I was about to do. "I'm the one with the best chances at surviving this, okay? Think of the Emperor."