Chapter 34: The Beginning of The End

Nolan narrowed his eyes at me, but didn't look all that bothered, almost as if he saw this coming. Andrea on the other hand, looked back at me with wide eyes, pursing her lips for a brief moment as she tried to understand my words. The others all turned to her, gauging for her reaction. She looked ready to lash out, to tear my head off my body as her eyes went from surprised to angry. She took a deep breath, forcing herself to calm down.

"You're joking, right?" I shook my head no, not moving to say a word. She scoffed audibly, looking like she had a novels worth of words she could throw at me, but settled on one word which came out in a breathless sigh. "...Why?"

"Because I said so."

Her gaze turned to one of disbelief.

"...Give me a reason, Emily."

"I'm not entitled to give anyone a reason."

"...It's me. What did I do?"

The look on her face almost broke my resolve as I sighed.

"You aren't strong enough for this mission, Andrea. I need people on my team who won't let emotions control them."

"...You're saying you don't want me to come because, I care too much?"

"Yes."

Nolan chimed in, obviously angry.

"And what about me? You think I care too much?"

"No. but I need someone to keep an eye on this one."

I pointed to Andrea, who jeered.

"I don't need a babysitter thank you very much. I'm going."

"No you're not."

"Yes. I am."

"You know what; I don't have time for this. You aren't going and that's that."

"You can't stop me."

"...Actually I can."

She looked at me as if I'd sprouted two extra heads, hurt and distrust etching their way into her core.

"You wouldn't..."

"I don't want to. So just listen to me."

"How can I listen to you when you're being unreasonable?!"

"Andrea, please...don't make me do this."

"You're being ridiculous, Emily. I'm going."

"Andrea Eskel Ambrose, I hereby command you to stay behind from this mission, with Nolan."

She looked stunned for a moment, almost unbelieving. The others were looking at me with wide eyes, perplexed at my act of sheer audacity. I glared at them, causing them to politely excuse themselves and Andrea and I leveled bone chilling glares at one another. Andrea spoke first, sounding more hurt than angry.

"You...pulled rank on me."

"I did. And my word is law. Stand down."

She looked like she was going to listen to me, her sense of duty nearly overtaking her desire to join the mission. Before something glistened in her eyes, something dark.

"No."

"What? Y-you can't do that."

"Or what? You'll throw me in the dungeon?"

"Of course not, but-"

"But nothing. I'm not letting you face possible death, without me. Especially with the prophecy."