Chapter 10 White - Is It Ever Too Late To Start Anew?

A Few Minutes Prior

"She just flatlined."

The doctors and nurses weakly put down their medical instruments and hung their heads.

The lead doctor sighed sorrowfully. "I'll go tell the family." He groggily walked out of the room and pushed through the door, leaving to go tell the bad news.

Suddenly, there was a cough from the old woman's body, and the heart monitor spiked back to life.

Everyone in the room's eyes shot towards the monitor. There was no doubt about it; that signal was faint but real. The room sprung to life, and everyone grabbed for their utensils.

"Quick! Get back to your stations!"

"Should we tell Dr. Dray?!"

"No time! Hurry!"

The operation continued in a fury, and moments later the monitor was showing a normal pulse.

"Done! Take her off of the anesthetics!"

Buttons were pressed and the crowd backed off from the body. Slowly, the grandma's eyes opened up.

She yawned, smacked her lips, looked around the room a little, then looked disappointed. "Guess I should've known that I was too stubborn to die."

Everyone gave her strange looks for her remark, then burst into cheering.

"She's alive!"

"What a miracle!"

"Quickly! Someone find Dr. Dray!"

Moments later the doctor that had delivered the bad news came rushing in the door. "Is it true?!" He looked at the woman lying down on the operating table, who was staring blankly at him. "It's true! I don't believe it!" He ran over to her side. "How do I contact the two kids I just told wrongly about your death?!"

She karate chopped the man's head. "Fool! I can't just tell them that I'm alive like that! I won't admit that I was wrong that easily!"

He stepped back. "No! What are you thinking?! They need to know!"

She acted as if she was brushing an imaginary beard in pondering for about an entire second. "Nope. And if you try and stop me, I won't tell you who I really am so you can't bill me!"

Everyone in the room's jaws dropped, especially the head doctor's.

"Now now, don't you think you're being a tiny bit unreasonable right now?"

"No!"

"Ah, but you can't leave then," the doctor said with a fake smile. "I don't know if you've noticed or not, but you're paralyzed from the waist down. You'll need a wheelchair to get around from now on. Now, please be reasonable and tell us what we need to know." He smiled awkwardly trying to convince the inconvincible woman.

"That's not going to stop me. Meowstic!"

Out from under the operating table stepped out the loyal cat. Her drooping ears perked up, then Granny was suddenly airborne. She looked a little bit like a ghost with her white gown and her legs just dangling there. Meowstic hopped onto her back and crawled up to sit on her head.

"And we're out of here!"

The psychic cat flew her out of the room, leaving the medical personnel aghast.

The head doctor sighed. "Someone get her a wheelchair before she hurts herself again."

-----

A woman in formal business clothes dropped a stack of papers off at Lyne's desk. "Please have this done by Wednesday."

"Alright," he replied, hiding his discontent.

The woman nodded then left the basement.

As soon as she was gone Lyne banged his head several times on his desk. "Why? This sucks so much..."

He picked up his head then spun around in his chair. He looked intensely at the ceiling, as if it would provide answers to his problems.

"I thought that I would be changing the world with my work, but soon as I got anything impressive done the higher ups took the project from me."

Sensing distress, Rotom zipped around the corner and hovered up to above Lyne's face. It buzzed and hissed incomprehensible statements to its owner.

"If you need to say something, then go to your terminal."

The pokemon agreed and bolted across the room and into a computer screen. "QUIT YOUR JOB ALREADY!"

"What are you talking about?! I can't quit my job!"

"YOU CAN'T STAY HERE AND LOSE ALL SANITY EITHER."

"What are you talking about? I'm perfectly sane! Ouch." He winced and rubbed his forehead where he banged it against the desk. It was starting to bruise.

"YOU. QUIT. NOW."

He looked around his lab. How could he leave it? This had been practically his home for several years now. All his achievements had happened right here in this room, and it felt kind of nostalgic. Well, most of his achievements had been taken away from the lab at this point.

He seriously considered it for several minutes.

Rotom waited patiently from inside the computer screen. It didn't want to mess this one up.

Lyne sighed. "I guess this place really doesn't have anything left for me, huh? Maybe I should move on. I mean, not even Ira is here anymore."

"WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?"

He stood up quickly. "You know what! You're right Rotom! Let's get going!" He smiled wider than he had in several months, and then he ran around the room. He picked up a bag from a dusty corner, shook it out, then ran around dumping his personal possessions into it, including pokeballs, devices, and some books. He was about ready to burst out the door with his stuff when he realized that Rotom was still in the computer. "Hurry up will you?!"

"AREN'T YOU FORGETTING SOMETHING?"

He thought about what that was, then it occurred to him. He went over to his desk and opened a drawer. There inside was an undelivered white envelope. He picked it it up, then smiled at it. "Guess you might fulfill your purpose in the end, Mr. Letter," he said with a soft smile, then slipped it into his bag.

"I GUESS THAT WORKS TOO, BUT I NEED MY POKEDEX, LYNE."

He laughed. "Oh yeah, guess you'd probably like to talk sometimes." He walked over to a glass case that read "PROTOTYPE V3" then removed the glass and the retrieved the pokedex from within. He stuffed it inside her bag, then looked at the computer. "Ready?"

The pokemon popped out of the computer and smiled approvingly.

"Alright! Now the question is what to do!"

Rotom looked at him with a frown.

Lyne laughed. "Don't worry, I know what I should do. Time to go on an adventure!"

***

A/N: S H E N A N I G A N S H A V E B E E N P U L L E D

But wait, there's more?...