Chapter 12 White - What Does That Past Say About Her?

"Yep, that is my granddaughter's name," answered Granny. "What of it?"

Lyne's heart fluttered with excitement. "Like, Ira as in businesswoman who just started her journey with a guy named Elron?"

"If that's not the one then I'd be surprised."

"Oh my." He burst out into laughter. "What are the odds?!"

"Quite high I'd imagine considering how uncommon Ira is of a name."

"That's not what I meant but okay." He smiled and looked up at the sky. Even the blue void above him seemed more tangible than usual now. "So she's nearby, huh?"

Granny hit the armrests of her wheelchair several times. "Hey! Aren't you going to wheel me to Striaton?! Let's get a move on already!"

He considered. "Suddenly I don't feel like going that way anymore."

"Oh no you don't! You're supposed to take me to Striaton! Don't make me fight you!"

"Okay, just try and do that."

"Alright, I will! Meowstic!"

The cat tried to stand up, then finally collapsed completely, fainted.

"I win," said Lyne. "Time to get you back to the safety of Nacrene City."

"Wait!" yelled Granny. "Fine! I'll make you a deal!"

"A deal?" He cocked his eyebrows.

"Yes! I'll tell you what you need to know about Ira!"

"What do you mean, 'what I need to know?'" Is there something important I'm missing?

Granny emphasized her crossed arms. "Wheel me where I want to go and you'll find out." Inside, though, she was thinking I've got him now!

He feigned disinterest and started pushing her back to where he had just been. "Guess it can't be helped then." The way she said it bothered him. She says it like something has gone wrong with Ira.

-----

"Ira?! What are you doing here?!"

Granny about dropped her tea kettle as she ran to her backyard.

The child, not yet even ten years old, Ira poked out her head through the branches of bush, twigs in her hair and dirt covering her legs and hands. Her big blue eyes looked to be on the verge of crying, but seeing her grandma made them instantly brighten up. "Granny!"

The two met and hugged on the lawn.

"Ira! Just look at yourself! We need to get you cleaned up!"

The girl happily agreed.

Granny prepared the child's bath, and helped her undress and slip into the bubbles of the water.

Ira was being a little more quiet now, as if she knew what was coming.

Granny applied the soapy sponge to Ira's back and scrubbed. "Now, why are you here? How did you get here? You do realize that your parents must be worried sick, right?"

She puffed out her cheeks resolutely. "No way! Those two don't care about me! I ran away from home to be with you instead!"

She got all the way from Rustboro to Lavaridge by herself? Kids really do have an endless supply of energy. She scrubbed harder, almost to the point that it hurt. "Don't speak nonsense! Of course they care! You're their daughter! They just want the best for you."