Chapter 13 Black - Why Are People So Easy To Lose?

Ira's eyes teared up. Despair filled her eyes like water fills a cup. Her thoughts confused even her.

Eh? What's happening? Why is my boyfriend... Why is that girl... What is happening?!

She stumbled backwards, almost tripping over a rock.

Is there no longer any one left for me in this world? No one left that understands me?!

"Wait," said Elron, stepping away from Flora. "I-I didn't mean it like that! Ira, no!"

She turned and ran. The group had hardly just reformed, and they were once again missing a person.

All I asked for was one person! Just one! But no, every single person gets taken away from me!

Tears streamed down her cheeks and her eyes grew red with stress. She just kept running.

"Ira!" he shouted after her. His arm reached in her direction, but she was long gone.

He pulled back and looked at his trembling hand. What have I done?! Is this my fault? Someone else's? No one's?! This is bad... very bad...

"Hey Elron," asked Flora, tugging lightly on his shoulder. "Who was that anyways?"

His heart skipped a beat and he suddenly felt himself clamming up. He didn't want to say any words at all, but yet he felt something escape from his throat.

Flora's jaw dropped slowly and her eyes widened. "What did you just say?"

"I said... That's my girlfriend." His own words wrapped around his neck and choked him. What am I saying?! What can I say?!

"I see..." She looked down and paused. "Does that mean...?"

"Oh what?" he said, getting caught off guard. "Oh no, I don't think so... I think... I don't know what to think."

Tension filled the space around them. It was almost tangible, yet neither of them could fully identify it.

She nervously rubbed her arm. "Was I really gone that long... For you to forget about me?"

"Forget? No way! I just... I just... I thought you were dead! I told myself to move on! Yet here you are, right after I managed to force myself to consider other options. I just don't know what way is the right way..."

He felt like running as well, but his legs wouldn't move. This time they trembled in place, weak almost to the point of collapse.

Flora sighed. "I see. Luckily, I did at least consider that this would happen. Sounds like I should have given more thought to it, though." She forced a smile. "Well, I guess that means you at least forgive me. The fact that you're standing here, that is."

He thought about that. "Huh, I guess so." He also cracked a smile, though it only lasted for a second. "I just need some time to think this over. It's a lot to take in all at once."

It was a bittersweet feeling for the both of them.

For Elron, it meant that his hopes of the past had come true, but that he would have to abandon his hopes of today to get them. He was now faced with a conundrum: which path to take? He naturally leaned towards that of Flora, but he felt that it would be unfair to Ira if he did. And he knew that Ira was not going to take this well.

For Flora, well, it meant that Elron hadn't handled the separation as well as she had hoped, and now would have to win back the man who she once was set to marry. She at least had the comfort that not only was not all lost, but that her strange and tumultuous past could now be set free from her mind.

"Hey," said Flora.

"What?" he responded.

"Take me into your arms, just like we used to."

He bit his lip, then eased slightly up. "Okay."

-----

Not too far away, hidden in amongst the leaves Ira was huddled on the ground thinking very dangerous thoughts.

She cried.

Is it okay to think the way I am now? This life is wearing me down. Maybe I should...

She caught herself mid-thought and attempted to shake it from her frame, yet a thread held it there in the back of her mind.

What would grandma do?!

She considered it again.

No no no! I need something to take my mind off all of this! Where's Elro--Oh, that's right...

A Purrloin walked across her path, not really paying her any mind. It stopped to lick its paws, then moved on.

At seeing the pokemon, Ira pulled out her pokeballs.

"That's right, at least you two are here for me, right?"

Her fingers moved towards the buttons on the capsule, but stopped short, as if fearing that she would be proven wrong and that they would leave her life as well if they were given the chance.

"Na, you two definitely are." She held them close to her heart.

"You have to be."