Chapter 14 Black - Is It A Plan If It's Not Well Thought Through?

Elron felt Flora's warm body as he hugged her close. It was a feeling that he had forgotten to the icy cold terrain of the land where they had last parted. It was a feeling that he had longed for for too long.

He was being tugged at from two opposite forces in his heart. His feeling of morality said that it would be terrible to break up with his current girlfriend only to leave her for another girl, as it wasn't her fault that all this had happened, yet even though he would hate to admit it, he knew that what he wanted to do was say goodbye to Ira. Despite all his mixed emotions that he had about Flora at that moment, he wanted back the days of fun and adventure that they had once shared. Nostalgia pushed him to seek a living replay of the past in the future. He knew he couldn't deny that any longer.

But what was he to say?

Flora trembled. "I know what you're thinking. You just can't let me back into your life... I understand."

"No," he replied, "that isn't it at all. I think I just need to sleep on it, that's all. It's been a wild night, and it won't be too long until morning."

She nodded silently, then let go of his grasp. She looked with wet eyes into his. "Do you still have that tent that we used to use when it got cold?"

"Yeah, still using the same one. It's a little ratty at this point though."

"Let's bring it out then. I see storm clouds on their way."

He smiled. "Alright."

"Like the outfit by the way, reminds me of your father."

He laughed. "Don't remind me."

-----

Ira curled up on the ground in her sleeping bag, sticking her backpack inside of it next to her foot. Laid down and stared at the sky. She tried closing her eyes several times, but she couldn't get to sleep. She felt lonely.

She got out her two pokeballs and let out Erynne and Skitty. The two pokemon looked confused. Ira grabbed them and pulled them in close. Without any words, she brought them into her sleeping bag and fell asleep with them in her arms. Eventually the pokemon gave up trying to figure out why they were brought out and went to sleep as well.

-----

The rain poured down on the Unova region that night. Cold, drowning rain. Ira had picked a spot at the base of a tree to sleep, so only the occasional raindrop fell on her face, but she slept right through it. She wasn't cold, especially with her pokemon there to warm her up.

However, the pokemon weren't such heavy sleepers. They could hide deeper in the sleeping bag to avoid the rain, but inside it the air was heavy, moist, and hard to breath. Sure, it wasn't the worst it could possibly be, but they knew that it would be far more comfortable in their pokeballs. To make sure that they would stay out and comfort her, Ira had hidden their capsules somewhere. They nudged her, trying to wake her up so that she would put them away.

Her eyes drifted open and looked dazedly at them. "What?" she mumbled, still half asleep.

They nudged her, trying to convey what they wanted, but their body language was rather lacking the verbiage to describe it.

"Go back to sleep," she yawned, then fell back asleep herself.

Lightning struck very closely. Ira woke up for a second, but quickly went back to sleep. The pokemon on the other hand were spooked, and ran off in seek of a better shelter. They did not know that this simple action would cause their trainer such pain as it soon would.

-----

Scratching and whimpering came at Elron and Flora's tent. Elron was having trouble sleeping that night, as all of them should have been, so he was roused by the noises without much difficulty.

What's going on? he thought to himself, sitting up and leaning forward. He saw shadows outside of his tent through a flash of lightning. Curious, he unzipped the door and peeked out of it.

Standing there in the rain were Ira's pokemon.

"What are you guys doing here?! You're soaked!"

Flora got up as well. "What's going on?"

"Do you have a towel with you?"

"Yeah, what of it?"

"Get it out please, these poor pokemon need to be dried off."

She wiped the sleep from her eyes and rummaged through her stuff, pulling out a beach towel with a long necked Exeggutor on it.

Elron gave her a strange look.

"It's Alolan."

"Interesting, I'll have to go there sometime."

He took the towel and wiped off the Aron and Skitty.

"What are they doing here anyways?" asked Flora. "Pokemon shouldn't be wandering the woods when it's pouring like it is now, especially not Hoenn natives."

"They're Ira's," said Elron, confused as well.

"Huh? What are they doing here?"

"I have no idea. For now let's get some more sleep though, we can figure that out in the morning." He looked at the pokemon. "That alright with you?"

The two of them cuddled up between their sleeping bags for warmth, and looked a lot more content here than they did before.

"I'll take that as a yes."