Chapter 34

"What's with you, girly?" Drew nudged Lizzy playfully. "I saw you giving that guy the flirty eye."

Lizzy rolled her eyes and smiled. "No you didn't. You didn't see anything."

"Oh yes, I did," Drew chuckled. "So what's the story? You got a thing for mister hotshot skier's buddy?"

"Um...no," she laughed softly then shrugged. "I don't know. He's cute. But I'm not going to date a bigot."

"You went out with Rodney," Nolan winked and grinned.

She pointed at him. "That was a case of temporary insanity. I'm not going to make that mistake again. You guys are my best friends. If they can't treat you with respect, then to hell with them. They don't get a piece of this." She smirked and swept her hands down her body.

"If you only go out with pro-gay men," Nolan said. "Your pickings may be slim."

"I don't care," she insisted. "Accepting people for who they are is just human decency. If I have to wait for a decent guy to come along, then I will."

Drew smiled and draped his arm around her, hugging her against him. "Good girl. You deserve the best."

"I'd have the best," she said, tilting her face up and smiling sweetly. "If you'd date me."

"Ah, honey, I'm flattered," Drew grinned.

"But you prefer the boys," she nodded and sighed. "I know. I know. It's totally true what they say; all the good men are either married, dead, or gay. And I'm not even sure how good the married and dead ones are." She shook her head. "What do you guys eat that make you so special? You need to feed some to the straight boys."

Withdrawing his arm, Drew leaned on the counter, a tight smile on his lips. "If we did that, they wouldn't be straight anymore."

Nolan burst out laughing.

"Ugh!" Lizzy smacked Drew on the arm. "I didn't mean that."

"Well," Drew laughed. "That's the only special thing I can think of that we consume and the straight boys don't."

"You're incorrigible," Lizzy scowled.

"Nolan thought it was funny, too," Drew pointed out.

"Hey, don't get me in trouble," Nolan grinned.

"He's incorrigible, too," Lizzy nodded.

"Thanks a lot, buddy." Nolan lightly slugged Drew in the gut.

Drew doubled over and feigned coughing.

"Oh right, like I could hurt you," Nolan laughed.

Raising his head, drew grinned. "I don't know, you about broke me a few times." He scooped Nolan up suddenly and hoisted him over his shoulder. "And my bed, too."

"Put me down." Nolan squirmed. "I have to get back to work. And so do you."

Drew started to speak then went quiet as he set Nolan back on his feet.

"Come on-" Nolan's words sliced off abruptly when he turned around and saw Todd walking toward them with the guy that Lizzy had been ogling. Nolan glanced quickly at Drew who maintained an outward nonchalant air. Knowing the guy better than anyone, though, Nolan noted the quiet tension that gripped him.

Todd tried to lag back and let Jude take the lead as they approached the counter, but Jude kept pace with him, unwilling to surge ahead. His nervousness with this girl was uncharacteristic and if Todd hadn't been so damn on edge himself, he would have found it amusing. Todd carefully avoided looking directly at Drew and nudged Jude when the guy started to falter as if he intended for Todd to speak first.