Chapter 62

NOTE: This chapter is kind of short. I was going to combine it with the next chapter, but decided to break them into two parts instead. I'm working on the next chapter and will try to have it up tonight as well. No promises, though :) It will be the flashback of what actually happened at the Hampton party...in detail ;)

I would have posted this one sooner, but my internet has been jumping on and off most of the day :/

______________________________________________

His heart hammered in his chest, refusing to calm. If he was lucky, it would just stop and put him out of his misery. He lay on his back, eyes closed, feeling like he was floating in limbo. He tried to smother Darren's voice—his declaration of love—but the more he fought it, the louder it echoed inside his head, shuddering down into his heart and causing it to beat even faster.

Rodney felt trapped by the storm outside the walls of the lodge; and pummeled by the one surging within as it slowly ripped him apart.

Everyone was watching. They heard what he said. They'll think you're a fag, too. As soon as the storm died out and the guests could leave, the rumors would begin spreading. Most of the Winterhaven guests had come here for the skiing tournament, they circulated through the skiing world. Rodney "the hotrod" Castle was a big name out there—and so was his reputation for being popular with the ladies. Rumors of him being queer would spread like wildfire. People wouldn't care if it was true or not, wouldn't take the time to find out—they would believe it because they wanted to, because it would be a fucking hot topic in their world and everyone loved drama; as long as it wasn't happening to them. And they would be more than eager to help spread it around.

Rodney stiffened when the knock on the door came. He wasn't surprised; he had expected it. He opened his eyes. Dampness clung to his lashes. For an instant, he couldn't move. Another knock. His heart pumped with force, staggering his breath. A third knock—and Rodney lunged off the bed, throat constricting with pain and rage.

He ripped open the door, knowing exactly who was on the other side. He grabbed Darren by the front of his shirt and yanked him into the room, slammed the door, and shoved him against it hard. Darren gasped and stared at Rodney, startled, as Rodney loomed over him, his face twisted in fury.

"You fuck!" Rodney smacked his palms furiously against the door on either side of Darren's head, making the guy jump. "Do you know what you did—do you?"

"Rodney-"

"Shut up!" Rodney yelled in his face. "Just shut the fuck up! I don't want to hear your fucking lies and bullshit! Because of you, everyone's going to think I'm a faggot! Shit like this doesn't go away! What the fuck!?"

He shoved away from him forcefully and turned around, walking stiffly to the window. His chest heaved and he raked his hands through his hair, his vision distorting as he stared out into the furious night.

"I...I wasn't lying," Darren trembled, tears in his voice. "I'm sorry for what I did, I shouldn't have said that in front of everyone, but...but I wasn't lying."

Rodney shook his head slowly, hands clamped to the nape of his neck. "You just ruined my life," he whispered tightly, his throat clenching tighter.

"I said it," Darren murmured. "Not you. There's no reason for anyone to think..." He drifted into silence; even he knew it was bullshit. "I'm sorry," he whispered. "I didn't mean for it to come out that way, but I was scared." Quiet desperation filled his voice. "You were trying to leave. In a...a fucking blizzard. I panicked. I'm sorry."