Chapter 54 (revised)

Lane had been keeping a subtle eye on Tonya since he'd returned downstairs. She and Rodney seemed to have parted ways after the incident in the billiard room. Perhaps the punch to the face and a stern warning had been enough to convince Rodney to calm his shit. But Tonya remained a threat, especially to Todd.

In private, behind closed doors, Todd was gradually beginning to accept this new reality; he and Lane had talked about it openly for the first time, and when Todd was alone with Drew, he embraced the freedom. Lane didn't have to be there to know it was true; he saw it in his eyes whenever Drew was near, or his name was simply mentioned. But Todd—and Lane, for that matter—but especially Todd wasn't quite ready to come out to everyone. And Lane didn't trust Tonya not to do her damnedest to stir up shit this evening during the game, in a crowded room where everyone was sure to witness it all.

Tonya and Rodney had said plenty in the billiard room, but that was in front of Todd and Lane's friends and no one else. Out here in the lounge, with most of the guests gathering around, there would be plenty who took her words at face value. Lane was afraid such an "outing" could damage Todd and cause him to withdraw from his new emerging self rather than embrace it.

At the moment, Tonya and her friends were sitting at a distant table with the same guys Lane and Todd had seen them with in the hallway. Tonya's cool glances toward Todd put Lane on edge. Todd had kicked her to the curb, and Lane had turned her down, and it appeared that maybe Rodney had booted her ass out as well; she was surely in no mood to play nice.

Todd was exhibiting visible anxiety, keeping a careful distance from Drew, his very stare held in check and off the object of his desire. Lane detected the strain in his best friend to maintain his composure; Lane was feeling a measure of the same strain himself. Every time he neared Nolan, he had to consciously warn himself not to touch him. He was startled by how difficult it was to keep his hands to himself. Without trying, Nolan tempted and beckoned to him; the very movement of his body, the look in his eyes. Lane could hardly resist the urge to forfeit right then and there and tell Nolan to take his prize.

Motioning Nolan, Drew, and Todd closer to him for privacy, Lane asked low, "Should we give them the show they're expecting? Just to keep the game interesting?"

"What do you mean?" Todd murmured anxiously.

Lane looked him. "Pretend like we really don't want to lose."

"Pretend?"

Lane raised an eyebrow.

"Okay," Todd mumbled.

"You are going to win, though," Nolan said. "That deal still stands."

Lane shrugged. "The way we've been playing today, we may not even be able to fake a win."

Todd grew increasingly nervous and glanced around the large room.

"Did you tell him?" Nolan asked Lane.

"Tell me what?" Todd looked at Nolan, unease on his face.

Drew frowned, curious. "Yeah. Tell him what?"

"I said if we won," Nolan addressed Drew. "That you and I would call off the bet, back out of it. That way it isn't on them. If people want to be pissed, they can be pissed at us."

Drew nodded and looked at Todd. "Yeah, okay. I'm good with that."

Todd relaxed a bit. "Really?"

Smiling, Drew leaned on the edge of the pool table. "I don't need the bet to get what I want." He gazed at Todd inquisitively. "Or do I?"

Shifting nervously, Todd pursed his lips and shook his head. "No," he whispered.