PART SEVEN: Chapter 60

PART SEVEN: "WINTER WONDERLAND"

.  .  .

As soon as the confession burst forth—exploding out into the open, never to be retrieved—Darren went rigid with tension, his fists clutching Rodney's shirt. Both men were momentarily frozen in place, shock masking their faces. Todd's pulse thundered wildly as he slowly looked around at the guests—all of them staring wide-eyed at the scene before them.

Oh, shit—shit! Todd knew by the stiffness in Darren's body, the look on his face, that it hadn't been his intention to out himself this way. Now he was caught by his own words; words that couldn't be unspoken—or unheard by those standing by.

"Fuck..." Lane whispered unsteadily, his own shock plastered across his face as he looked from Darren and Rodney to Todd. Jude stood speechless, just staring at Darren. Todd didn't know how to interpret his reaction, but he was the least of Todd's concerns now.

Todd shot an anxious look at Drew who motioned to Nolan. They turned to the guests and began ushering them back toward the lounge. Jimmy, the bartender, joined them in getting the people out of the entry hall.

Rodney was the first to act and pushed Darren away from him. His facial muscles flexed as he clenched his jaw and picked up his bag, shouldering it once more. A distinct glimmer of tears glossed his eyes as he looked hard at Darren. "No you don't," he mumbled tightly and shoved past him, heading back toward the stairs.

"Darren?" Todd murmured and moved closer. Lane and Jude slowly approached.

"Why did I...?" Darren swallowed thickly, his voice shaking. He stared blankly at the floor as his hands crept up into his hair then gripped the back of his neck. He blinked and tears trickled down his cheeks, his eyes lifting fearfully.

"Hey..." Jude said quietly and hesitantly gripped his arm. "It's okay."

Darren stared at him uncertainly, tears draining out. His damp eyes shifted anxiously to Lane.

"It's cool," Lane whispered. "You don't have to be scared."

His chin trembling, Darren choked on a broken sob. "Yes...I do." He backed away. "I'll never...I'll never stop being scared." His arms slipped around himself, and he turned away, returning to the day room.

Todd watched him go, confused. Todd had his own fears to contend with, but Darren's fears had a more literal feel.

"I guess that answers your 'what's up with Darren' question," Jude told Lane.

"Did you know...?" Lane looked at Todd.

"Yeah," Todd whispered. "But not until today." He glanced at Jude with trepidation. "What about you?"

Jude frowned, puzzled. "What about me what?"

"What do you think?" Todd stared at him. "Your best friend just came out of the closet..." Todd's nerves wound out tight as his next question encompassed him and Lane as well. "Are you gonna be okay with that?"