*Chapter Eleven*

Tyler

I'm on my way back to the hotel and Anna. My meeting with Lisa went exactly as I hoped it would, and I got what I came for.

I take out my phone and see that Marlene texted me a while ago.

Marlene: Anna is onto us. She's super suspicious. She more or less called me out on our lies right there in the lobby of the hotel after you left. I don't like this, Tyler. Make it right.

I sigh and scratch the back of my neck a few times before getting back to her.

Me: I know. I'm sorry Marlene. You know I would have left you out of this if it were possible. It's almost over, I promise. Please don't cave. On my way back to hotel now. Are you guys still out?

I didn't feel good when I asked her to cover for me, but there weren't really any other options. I feel guilty as hell too for lying to Anna, but it's not as if I can tell her what Lisa and I have been up to over the past few months.

That would ruin everything.

My phone vibrates in my hand with an incoming message.

Marlene: No. When we got to our rooms, she told me she'd changed her mind and that she'd just order room service instead of going out with me.

Damn it.

Me: Shoot. That's not good. It was that bad?

Marlene: Yes, Tyler. At first I didn't think so, but then she was quiet all the way up to your room. She looked so sad when I wouldn't tell her anything. I know I said it already, but I'll say it again. I do not like this one bit.

I take a deep breath before typing a reply.

Me: There isn't really much I can do now, is there? What's done, is done.

Marlene: Two words, Tyler. Damage control. You don't want her to pack up her stuff and leave, do you?

My heart stops beating for a second, an unnerving buzz running through my body. There's a slight shiver crawling down my neck, and my hands start to feel a little clammy.

Me: Do you think she would do that?

Marlene: I don't think so but you never know. I know I would. Be good now and fix it. I'm going to sleep. See you in the morning. Good luck.

I put my phone away, not even bothering to text her again. We're back at the hotel, and I can't wait to see Anna.

Marlene's words echo in my head again.

Damage control.

I slip in through the side entrance and make my way up to our room as fast as I can. I need to see Anna and make sure that she's alright.

I need to make sure that we're alright.

When I open the door to our suite, it's all dark. I curse silently, turning on my phone so I can see a little bit at least.

I find the bathroom, undress and get ready quickly.

When I lie down in bed, I realize that Anna is as far on the other side as she can get.

"Tyler?" Anna's voice is filled with sleep, but I feel so happy to hear it.

"Yeah baby, it's me. Just go back to sleep, OK?" She turns around, facing me and I pull her closer to me. Her head is on my chest, and I can hear her slow, even breathing. Somehow I'm happy she's asleep, and we don't have to talk about everything going on right now.

I lean in and give her a soft kiss on her cheek. "I love you, sunshine."

I'm glad this will all be over tomorrow.

Now I can only hope it won't end badly.

*****

I totally forgot to share all of your theories with you last time, so let's do it now. What's it gonna be? 😉

Theory 1: Lisa is a dog breeder, and he will surprise her with a puppy.

Theory 2: Tyler is proposing

Theory 3: Lisa is Tyler's sister

Theory 4: Lisa is Tyler's girlfriend, and they are getting married.

Theory 5: Tyler and Lisa are having a baby.