Chapter 15

Kylie POV

I left on the clothes I'd changed into and waited around in my room. After sitting in there doing nothing for five minutes I decided that I wanted to talk with Mom for a while seeing as I hadn't heard from her all morning.

I got up from my comfy bed reluctantly and silently padded down the hall towards my parents' room. The door was opened slightly when I got there, and I peered through to see my mom sitting on the bed facing away from me. She held her phone up to her ear and it was clear that she was in the middle of an important conversation.

I was about to leave and come back when she was done, respecting her privacy, but something she whispered as I turned stopped me in my tracks.

"Are you saying Kylie still has them?"

Still has what? I wondered, dread creeping into my body. Who is she talking to, and why are they talking about me?

I stepped back behind the door, and out of her view if she were to turn this way. What is Mom hiding from me?

"Are you sure? Positively certain? I was devastated when I thought we took them from her, and the doctors said they were gone forever," Mom spoke into the phone. Gone forever? What is she talking about?

"I don't think it's her, she's been here all morning. I can go check now if you want," Mom assured whoever was on the other end of the line.

My eyes widened in fear. Crap! She's going to come check on me and I'm fully dressed eavesdropping on her suspicious conversation!

I backed away from the door slowly, and started sprinting back to my room as quietly as possible when I heard her stand up and approach the door.

I used my powers to pull my clothes off of me and into my closet. Scrambling, I managed to find my sleep shorts and shirt and threw them onto me using my abilities.

I could hear my mother softly walking towards my room as I threw myself into my bed. I couldn't fake sleeping to save my life, so instead I grabbed my phone from the dresser and acted like I had been playing on it all morning.

My door opened with a creak as my mom peeked in at me. I gave her a convincing smile as she held her phone to her ear.

"Yeah she's right here, lounging the day away in her pjs," she informed the person she was talking to, leaning against my doorway.

'It's your dad,' Mom mouthed to me with a little smile.

I wasn't sure whether or not to believe her. My dad very well could be talking about me with my mom, but at the same time I feared something sinister from what I had overheard.

"Yeah, love you too, bye," Mom cooed happily before hanging up and putting her phone away.

"Hey Mom," I said coolly.

"Morning hon, I was just talking to your dad. He's settled into the SHIELD helicarrier now and said he's already been out once with Aunt Nat to try and catch the Dark Archer and Spider-Man," Mom replied with a smile.

"Well that's good. I take it he didn't get them yet, then?" I asked around the lump in my throat.

"No, the archer girl managed to teleport the two somewhere. Dad and Nat were unprepared for that, but they said they'll take extra precautions next time," she told me sadly.

I nodded in understanding and tried to process what was going on around me. I was also puzzling out what 'precautions' they were taking and how Peter and I could avoid them.