Chapter 16

Kylie POV

After my mom left, I changed yet again so I would be ready when Tony's escort came to pick me up. Somehow I was going to have to convince Tony to show me the lab so I could see it and be able to teleport back inside. The lab was locked with a password from what I'd heard, so I would definitely need to be inside there at least once.

It sounded so insane that Peter and I were planning on robbing the Avengers, who were coincidentally the only family I'd ever known. We would definitely be taking voice modifying gear, and maybe sleeping concoctions if I could find some. It would be useful to put in some tranquilizing arrows of my own to knock out the SHIELD agents before they could get us.

This little escapade of ours would only put them off for so long, however. We couldn't run from them forever. We were on a running clock, and our time was numbered already.

I'd promised Peter that after we sorted out this SHIELD thing that we would figure us and our relationship out, but how could that time ever come? The promise was empty—we could never escape SHIELD, so Peter and I could never be a couple, or at least try to be one.

Despair filled every inch of my being, but I pushed it away. Worrying and being pessimistic would not help our situation.

I flopped back onto my bed and flung my arms out to the side like a starfish. I couldn't think of any way to pass the time. I was too freaked out from earlier to try and spend some quality time with my mom, and I wasn't allowed to contact my dad at all while he was on a mission. He could contact us at certain times, but he was supposed to be limited on his time with the outside world.

I tried to play on my phone for a while, playing nonsense games and even browsing through Wattpad. However, no matter what I did, my mind always brought itself right back to my mother's phone conversation.

It was all really strange to me. All this talk of me having something, and doctors saying I'd lost them forever, and someone my mom was involved with possibly taking them from me? Whatever 'them' was.

Oh. My. God. Do they mean my powers?

It would make sense, in a way. At least why doctors would be involved. But why would they think I'd lost them? I didn't have my powers until my eighteenth birthday.

And now I was confused again. I'd never had powers up until recently, so how could anyone other than Peter know about them? How could I lose something I didn't have?

Nothing made sense to me anymore. Not even SHELD's determination to bring Peter and I into custody had good reasoning to me.

I mean, why us? We're not criminals. We're the opposite. We help people.

Questions, questions. They filled my head and muddled my brain. There were far too many questions in my mind and not nearly enough answers.

I groaned aloud in frustration and just then my phone dinged. I snapped my head up in confusion. I sat up in my bed and looked at my phone screen.

The screen was lit up with a text from Uncle Tony. The time at the top read 2:05. Somehow I'd passed the hours lost in my thoughts.

The text is received simply said, Come out front.

I hopped off of my bed and grabbed my black Converse. I quickly threw them on and laced them up. Then I dashed out of my room and to our door. I hollered a quick goodbye to Mom as I flew out the door and down the hall to the elevator.

I composed myself as I rode alone on the elevator down to the lobby. By the time the elevator stopped, I didn't look like I had been frantically rushing around my apartment building.