Chapter 20

Peter POV

Watching that video with Harry only solidified my need to find out what happened to my father. Why did he disappear? What exactly was he involved with? I had to know.

When I got back home, I went to go and research in my room only to find Aunt May staring in shock at my wall. I'd created a massive connections chart with everything regarding my father and his disappearance. There were even pictures of Gwen and Kylie hanging on the wall with the caption Do I have to lose you too?

"Aunt May? What are you doing?" I asked as I walked in. Her gaze didn't move from the wall.

"When did you do this?" May returned. I waited a moment before answering.

"There's something you're not telling me, Aunt May. Every time I mention my parents your eyes go down. I know you're not telling me something. And I know you love me," I explained.

"I don't know," she cut in.

"—I know you love me, but you still keep it from me. Aunt May... You have to tell me, Aunt May. It's my father," I finished.

"Yes he was your father, but that didn't stop him from leaving you here," May protested.

"I need the truth," I pleaded. Aunt May seemed to be growing angry and insecure from my questioning.

"The truth is your parents left you here, on our doorstep. And you were this little boy whose whole world was turned upside down with no explanation. We did the best that we could, your Uncle Ben and I. I mean, who else was going to care for you and worry about you and protect you? Your father? No. I was the one who wiped your nose and made you brush your teeth and do your homework and washed your dirty underwear. Me! Your stupid, non-scientific aunt, who doesn't know how to make ends meet, who has to take nursing classes with twenty two year old kids so I can pay for you to go to college. And I don't know how to do this without Ben! I just don't know how! And, and you're dreaming about your perfect father, who was never here. No! No, I won't tell you. You're my boy. As far as I'm concerned, you're my boy and I won't hurt you," Aunt May ranted angrily. I was left in shock that she felt that I didn't love her like she was my mother, that she thought I didn't appreciate all she did for me. I fell to my knees.

"I'm your boy, and you're my everything. You're enough, you're more than enough. That's not what this is about. Don't get that twisted. I love you so much," I begged.

"I know," she sobbed. I stood up and hugged her.

"It's okay, it's okay, Aunt May. But I need to know," I comforted her.

"Alright," she conceded. "I'll tell you everything I know—but it'll hurt you."

"Okay," I agreed, trying not to startle her out of telling me. The truth was something I just needed to know.

"A few days after the funeral two government men came to see us. They said that the genetic research that your father was doing with Norman Osborn was very valuable and that people would pay a lot for it, and that's why he ran off with it. They said he was a traitor. I couldn't believe it, Peter. They told us he betrayed his best friend, all of us, for the money," Aunt May explained.

She looked lost and confused as she told me this. I was taken aback. My father would never do something like that. It didn't make any sense. I conveyed this to Aunt May.

"I don't... I don't get it. No. This doesn't make sense," I protested.

"Yes, I know. I know, I didn't believe it either. I couldn't believe it..." May agreed.