Chapter 5

Picking the Poppies, Ch. 5

Sorry i havent updated in, well, ages really, but here it is!

-------------------

"Seriously?" Rupert and Dan said together.

"Yep," I said, and started walking off down the lane.

"Come on, guys," Tom said encouragingly. "Walking's not that bad."

"You're only saying that 'cause you love her!" Rupert said in a childish voice.

"Ooooh!" Dan crooned, joining in. Tom hit him with his hat. "Tommy likes Poppy!"

"Shut up," Tom muttered.

My heart fluttered. Was what they were saying true? I mean, sure, we'd had a couple of moments back at his house but they were just that. Moments. If anything, Tom was just a friend. Maybe he was just hanging around with me because he drenched me back outside the restaurant. Yeah, that's probably it.

As much as I wanted to go out with Tom, he would never think in the same way. Anyway, Rupert and Dan were complete jokers; they couldn't even say a word without laughing about it. Plus -

"Hello, daydreamer," Emma said, skipping up beside me in her Uggs, interrupting my thoughts.

"Not a good idea to wear Uggs," I pointed out.

"They're waterproof," Emma said, pointing out the obvious. I rolled my eyes.

"Anyway. What were you daydreaming about?" she said inquisitively.

"Nothing," I said quickly. She laughed.

"Right," she giggled. "Because you totally weren't thinking about Malfoy over there."

"Someone mention my stage name?" Tom asked, running over.

I threw Emma a pleading look as her eyes twinkled mischeviously. "Poppy was-"

"Saying something about Harry Potter!" I interrupted quickly. "Yeah. Something about when Draco got punched in the face."

"Oh," Tom said disappointedly.

"Killjoy," Emma whispered as he walked off.

"So you totally weren't just going to tell him," I said.

"I was," she admitted.

"Well, don't," I retorted.

We carried on down the street, me and Emma leading the way and the boys straggling behind, moaning. I smiled. I knew they'd love where we were headed - especially Rupert and Dan.

The snowflakes fell, littering the air around us like small white gems. I sighed happily as I watched them float down from the sky, the grey stretched above us.

When we got to a small green gate, I pushed it open, hardly containing my excitement. I made my way up to the top of the hillside. Emma gasped.

We were looking down at practically the whole of London. The city looked so beautiful, with the intricate snowflakes falling gently onto the rooftops of every single building.

"It's - beautiful," Tom breathed.

I nodded. "It is."

We stood there for another moment, watching the snow fall onto London. It was only when Rupert shoved a snowball down the back of my neck that I said or did anything.

Of course, this was why I'd brought Dan and Rupert here; for the snow. And, watching them run about playing in the snow, I saw that they loved it.

"I mean it," Tom said to me. "It's breathtaking up here."

"I know," I sighed happily. "I found out about this place last year when..."

My voice trailed off.

"Never mind," I said hastily. Tom shrugged and walked off to shove a snowball down Rupert's coat.

"Thanks for bringing us up here," Emma said, with feeling. "Being famous and all, we never get to do normal stuff like this."

"Think nothing of it," I replied.

A snowball hit me and I shrieked. I narrowed my eyes.

"This means war," I growled.

Tom, Dan and Rupert laughed as we started pelting them with snow balls. Two hours later, the ground was scattered with snow angels and loose snowballs. Snowmen littered the area. The sky was considerably lighter as the sun rose, us lying on the snow watching it.

"We better get going," I suggested

"Good idea," Dan agreed.

We all stood up, brushing the snow off our coats and trousers. Dan and Rupert ran ahead, yelling and still throwing snowballs. Emma rolled her eyes and went to quiet them down; they were celebs, but it was 1 am.

It was after I suppressed a smile that I realised Tom and I were on our own. He turned to me and I felt my breath catch in my throat.

"Tom, I need to tell you something," I said.

"Before you do - I feel it too," he said quickly.

"You feel that I had a really nice weekend?" I frowned.

"No!" he said hastily. "I mean-"

"I know what you mean," I said. "Because I feel it too."

"You do?" he asked.

I nodded. He started to lean in. My heart skipped a beat (I swear it's not supposed to do that) as I leaned in too; we were centimetres away - millimetres. Our lips grazed each other -

When someone cleared their throat. I spun round to see Dan looking a bit left out, Rupert looking a bit disgusted and Emma squealing. Loud.

"I knew it was just a matter of time!" she squealed.

I blushed bright red; I swear Tom did, too. Emma subsided the squeals and walked ahead with the other boys.

Tom entwined his fingers in mine. I looked up at him and smiled, staring into his beautiful blue eyes.

•••••••••••••