Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Sorry I took so long, it's the holidays so I've been busy in London! I also beg your pardon cos it was snowing a few weeks ago in this story and now it's Easter, but it was snowing yesterday so let's just say it was a snowy Easter...

I tried to make it up to you guys for the wait by making it a longer chapter than normal, is it? I'm not sure. I hope it is.

Thanks.

Mia:)x

💗💗💗💗POPPY💗💗💗💗

DING, DONG. DING, DONG.

DING, DONG. DING, DING.

"Alright, alright, I'm coming," I yelled as the doorbell rang through the house.

I pulled my top down a little further, glancing at the little Easter chicks on the shelf. Yes, it was Easter good Friday and a bank holiday for all. I had been on holiday for a week already.

The ring sounded again. I sighed and ran down the stairs.

"Be a bit more patient," I advised as I opened the door, expecting Tom, Emma, Dan or Rupert.

There stood dad, holding an Easter egg.

I slammed the door in his face. This was getting a bit old. I had been doing that to him, ever since he turned up here and every time he did.

"Poppy please," dad sighed. "I just need to explain."

I frowned and opened the door slowly. "The police know, dad. They know what you did before and they know you're in London."

"Ah, but they don't know I'm in your house, do they?" he grinned.

Naturally, I stepped forward and slapped him.

"Cut to the chase, dad," I growled.

He frowned. "Can't I come in?"

"No," I said bluntly.

His face dropped. "Oh. Ok."

I knew he was trying to get me to feel guilty so I would let him in. That was childish but my dad was childish. He acted 4 years old.

"NO, dad," I said firmly.

He sighed and frowned. "Ok, anyway. I came here to explain."

He sat down on the front step. "Your mum, Poppy, was a great woman-"

"Better than you'll ever be. I can't see why she married you," I snapped at him.

"She didn't want to," he trembled.

"Wait - what?"

"Me and your mother had Jacob through an accident. We met up at a party, extremely drunk. When she had Jacob she married me to make it easier for him to live with a family. And then we had you. You were expected, unlike Jacob was. We looked after you for three years, cared for you, loved you. Then we got a divorce. It just wasn't working out for the pair of us at all. Your mother had a weak bladder and liver, she had always had one. But when she got drunk at that party and had Jacob, it made her bladder even weaker. Anymore alcohol could possibly kill her and definitely send her into the hospital for a transplant."

Dad stopped. He had tears streaming down his cheeks. I wasn't crying; I'd done way too much of that and I felt like I should be strong for mum.

"She was a great woman, your mum. But when you hurt yourself, when you cracked your head open at that school, she started drinking because of all the problems. And because she had a weak bladder, well, she... she died."

Dad was crying hysterically now. "I lived for your mother and you and Jacob. But when she died I had to care for you and it was too much. And that's why I hurt you."

I sighed. "Ok."

"You forgive me?" he asked hopefully.

"What? No, no way. I just need some time to think," I hinted. When he didn't leave, I said: "Dad, go. I want to think it over."

He nodded and left.

Then the tears came, emotion washing over me like a huge wave.

My mother was dead. And I'd just been told why.

🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈TOM🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈

"Look, I'll be fine," I snapped into the phone. "Go and do whatever you do."

My agent scoffed and hung up.

Then, a funny feeling washed over me. It felt cold and unpleasant.

I knew there was something wrong.

💝💝💝💝POPPY💝💝💝💝

I ran upstairs and grabbed a bag. I had to get away from all of this for a while, even if it was only for a few hours.

Crying, I stuffed jeans and a few tops into the bag, along with a skirt and leggings, a jacket, more jeans, a couple more tops. I grabbed random socks and a torch, and ran downstairs to grab some food. I helped myself to the bread, butter, fillings, chutneys all from the cupboards, and the packets of biscuits and a few of the ready-made Starbucks coffees, along with a few cartons of juice and a bottle of water. I also swiped a few of the tupperwares containing the curry from last night and a few forks.

The tears ran down my face as I swept the money off the side into my purse, stashing that into my already full bag.

I ran down the hallway and wrenched my coat and hat on. I threw the door open and reached in my pocket for the keys. I locked the door behind me and started to run away from the house.

The rain pelted down as I started running faster. It hadn't even been raining this morning. I guess the weather wanted to match my mood.

I turned the corner and ran towards the gate, disappearing in the pelting black rain.