FOUR ~ The Fashion Police

Chapter 4

Claire

I paced the living room of my apartment. Clark said that he'd be by to pick me up but he didn't give me any specifics. I had a grey duffel bag packed with essentials and a slightly bigger black duffel bag packed with guns, money and contingencies. Clark wasn't specific about the approach we'd be taking so I packed the weapons just in case. It was nearing 11 AM and I had to admit I was getting a bit antsy. I was dressed in a gray cropped sweatshirt, some leggings, and my favorite Adidas shoes. My outfit wasn't much different from what I went running in earlier; However, my hair was in a ponytail at that time. I did my best braiding it as the art of doing hair was still a foreign concept to me.

Finally my doorbell rang and I practically ran to open it. I pulled the door open and was met with a clearly surprised Clark. "Hm, I thought you would make me wait for like an hour before opening the door." He remarked and invited himself in. "Got everything packed?" I closed the door behind him.

"Well yeah but it'd help a lot if you'd told me exactly where we were going." I answered, he headed straight for the bowl of fruit sitting on my counter and picked out an orange.

"To answer your unasked question, we'll be heading to a couple of places. First stop is Washington D.C."

"Oh, is that where she is?" She being my sister-- one of them at least.

"No." He answered simply.

"No?"

"Nope, she's on stop 2; Detroit." I winced at location. Detroit wasn't doing so good right now. Its increase in Inhuman's has done nothing good for it. Not that the Inhuman's are the main problem, but the people they were before all this...well its influenced who they are now.

"Why Detroit?" I questioned, he shrugged.

"Why not? Its not up to me where SHIELD dumps the children of their employee's." He muttered fiddling with the orange. I glared daggers into his skull.

"That's your sister you're talking about!" I reprimanded. Clark put his hands up in defense.

"I'm just telling it how it is, but for what its worth I apologize." It was almost a challenge to tell whether he was being sincere or not.

"Alright, I've been ready to go since 8 AM. Let's get out of here." I went and picked up both duffel bags, one in either hand, and when I turned around I was faced with Clark. I wouldn't have been concerned but he was doing something weird with his face. His eyebrows were scrunched together and his eyes seemed to narrow at me. "What?" I questioned simply. He pointed at me.

"Why is your shirt like that?" I looked down at my shirt and there wasn't anything out of the ordinary.

"Like what?" I tried to pinpoint what he was pointing at but it wasn't helping.

"I mean where's the rest of it?" At this I rolled my eyes.

"It's a cropped sweatshirt which means it's gonna be cropped."

"But I can see your belly button." He stated, I only shrugged.

"So?"

"So if someone was trying to shoot you and they needed a target, they'd see your belly button and think 'hey I wonder if I can make that shot!' And now that they are more motivated, they will not miss the exposed target on your stomach." He explained, and proceeded to then poke me in the belly button. I dropped both my bags and it was a wonder none of the guns went off. I swatted Clark's hand away with shriek that I will never admit to anyone.

"Stop that! Your hands are cold!" I shouted protecting my belly button.

"Then go put on a shirt!" He enunciated. I huffed before walking into my bedroom and shutting the door behind me.

"I'm not doing this because you told me to!" I shouted to him in the next room. I was only doing it to reduce the possibility of it happening again. I sifted through the shirts my closet, not that I had many. I've just gotten into the habit of making sure my outfits match since SHIELD doesn't pick them out for me anymore.

"Whatever, just wear something black. You're gonna have to go stealth once we get to D.C." I stopped what I was doing for a moment.

"Clark what are we doing once we get to D.C.?" I questioned warily.

"We'll worry about that once we get there." Rolling my eyes I went back to looking for a shirt until I found one with that met Clark's standards. I also grabbed my black beanie from off of the floor. Don't ask how it got there, I don't know.

"You done yet?" Clark questioned impatiently

"You done yet?" Clark questioned impatiently. I opened the door a second later and went to pick up the duffel bags.

"We could've already been on the road if you'd come earlier."

"Sorry, my internal spy clock didn't wake me." He responded sarcastically.

"Well then let's get going now before my assassin clock tells me what time it is." I threatened subtly. Okay maybe not subtly but it was definitely effective. Clark left the apartment before I could blink leaving the orange peels behind on my once pristine counter. I sighed before cleaning it up.

#

I closed the passengers door of Clark's van and shifted in my seat. He insisted on putting my bags in the back, claiming that I 'wasn't ready' to see what had going on back there. I don't know how bad it could be, I mean the guy is a total dork he'd probably have a bunch of posters of his favorite superhero on the walls.

Finally Clark came from the curtains scaring me- only slightly. He sat himself in the drivers seat and turned the car on. I watched him as we pulled out of the parking space.

"So exactly how long are you going to stare at me like that?" He questioned. His eyes never left the road but I wasn't impressed.

"Sorry, I just figured you'd tell me your life story." I was almost kidding but not quite. I did want to know what his motive was. After all a man without motive is...well he's nothing really.

"I've known you for like a day?" I shrugged. Its not as if random strangers haven't told me their life stories.

"Okay, you first." He bargained.

"Touché." I give him an hour tops.

_____________