SEVEN ~ A Lie

Chapter 7

Claire

  I woke up to the lack of humming in the van, though i'm not sure how I fell asleep in the first place. Well, it was a long drive and looking at my surroundings I can tell that's we're still not there yet. I looked at Clark in the drivers seat who was smiling.

"What are you smiling at?" I questioned rudely, but he kept smiling.

"Nothing just...nothing." I made a face at his weirdness but I let it go.

"Where are we?" I asked as he shut the van off.

"A diner, I'm hungry." And so we both got out of the car and walked into the establishment and were immediately seated. There weren't many people so I wasn't very surprised. Clark and I sat on opposite sides of the booth and as I looked at the menu I still felt his eyes still on me. More annoyed than I was before, I glared up at him.

"Seriously, what?" She questioned once again and once again he smiled and shook his head.

"It's nothing, now I'm gonna go release my bladder. If the waitress comes around for drinks, order me a coke." I gave a brief nod and continued to look at my menu. Seconds later the waitress came to the table with a newspaper under her arm, a notepad on her hand, and a smile on her face. I returned the smile and she began to speak.

"What can I get you to drink hon?" She asked.

"I'll have a water and my brother will have a coke." I told her and she nodded.

"Alright I'll get that right out for you, would you like a newspaper? I know you kids these days..."

"I would love a newspaper thank you." I said interrupting the waitress. She purses her lips before turning on heel to go get our drinks. For a moment I watched her retreating figure before going to the newspaper.

As my eyes read and then reread the title I froze.

WHERE DO THE AVENGERS STAND AFTER THEIR CIVIL WAR?

After their war? Weren't Clark and I supposed to be stopping this before it started? Quickly I sped read through the text. Names were named and not so subtle fingers were pointed, I wouldn't have expected any less. Though according to this, the fight between the Avengers happened an entire two weeks ago...

What the hell is going on?

Subtly I slipped the newspaper into the booth next to me and as if on cue, Clark came out of the bathroom and sat himself down opposite me.

"I ordered the drinks," I said naturally. "Should be out any minute." Clark nodded and didn't say anything. I tilted my head at him slightly. Once he sat down he weren't straight back to the menu avoiding my gaze and no smile nor smirk on his face.

"Hey," I started, taking his attention away from the menu. "Before, you told me you were still figuring out where our sister was, and then you tell me she's in Detroit...how did you figure it out so quickly?" I questioned.

"Oh I just closed my eyes and pointed at a place on a map. Wherever was closest I chose that one." He shrugged and I squinted at him. He was deflecting just like he did before but I hadn't noticed.

"And the fight? How do you know where it's gonna be?" Clark glanced up at me this time and my eyes were staring right at him. I wasn't being as subtle as I could've been with this mini interrogation but it was subtle enough.

"I ran an algorithm." He said simply, but it was a pretty weak lie from where I'm sitting.

"Also, can I see the book you wanted me to get? I fell asleep so fast I never got the chance to look at it." Avoiding my eyes, Clark looked back down at the menu on the table.

"I tossed it once I got the info I needed," he defended. "Now can we stop it with the twenty questions?" I shrugged, not that he saw it. I stared at him for a few moments and in that time our drinks arrived. After a few sips of water I decided I would figure out what exactly is going on.

"I need to get something out of the van, I need the keys." I said with my hand held out. Clark to the keys out of his pocket, pointed it at the van out the window and clicked the unlock button before shoving the keys back in his pocket.

I sighed but got up and exited the diner, heading out to the car. My plan was to make Clark sweat and drive to find a computer since my phone was just junk, and I could've done that without any damage, unfortunately now I have no choice.

I climbed into the passengers seat of the van and looked around for anything I could shove into the keyhole. When I saw the screwdriver in one of the compartments I knew I was good to go.

I climbed into the drivers seat and worked my magic. A second later I was leaving the parking lot with Clark chasing behind. He didn't chase after me for long but If he was telling the truth about his computer skills he won't need to look for me for long.

I drove around for about 20 minutes before I found an Internet cafe in the town we were in. I parked the car on the curb and rushed inside before anyone could tell me I couldn't park there. I headed towards a computer and followed the directions.

Then I got to work.

Back in my SHIELD days Phil would keep me on the computer for hours before any mission. He wanted me to know everything about where I was going or who I was supposed to talk to. This is no different, and all I had to do was type in "Captain America Civil War."

All the recent stuff came up and I didn't miss how far back the dates were.

Tony Stark Injured During Last Attempt To Bring In Captain America.

Ex-Captain Steve Rogers Still Not Apprehended.

Ex-Avengers Escape From High Security Prison.

If all this stuff has already happened what exactly is Clark's endgame? I'm guessing I'll get my answer soon since he just burst into the building panting and out of breath.

____