TEN ~ A Mom

Chapter Ten

Claire

"Oh, not this bitch again." I said with an eye roll, wiping the silent tears off my face. The one and only Natasha Romanoff's eyes narrowed at me with the obvious intent of murder.

"Excuse me? I am your mother." She said, stating the obvious. Natasha Romanoff in the flesh everyone! Wow, it is so crazy how I haven't resorted to underage drinking yet.

"Pfft! Yeah our cover story for that one mission was great. I distinctly remember getting shot! Now if you'll excuse me I think I'll take a parachute and get the hell outta dodge, please and thank you." I made a move towards the door which prompted her to shift more into the frame.

"No." She denied and my eyes blew up to the size of the moon.

"No? You're telling me no? And what gives you the right to do that? — And don't say it's because you're my mother because you and I both know that that hasn't been true since I was welcomed into this world." If she was offended she was good at hiding it because I got no reaction, just her stare. I returned the stare with malice.

"The only reason I'm over here is because you're in trouble, I didn't have to—"

"I wish you wouldn't have." I interrupted, Romanoff blinked then shifted her weight.

"Then who would tell you about Clover?" My eyes narrowed at her. Clover?

"Who the hell is Clover?"

"If you could stop being a brat for two seconds I could tell you."

#

"Barton and I only have three children together, Clark, who was adopted for lack of a better plan, and you and Clover." Said my mother, "If there were any other surprises we'd know." But would they actually? Surprises are meant to surprise after all. I crossed my arms and huffed.

"Clark said there was something wrong with Clover and I when we were born." I mentioned and they both noticeably flinched. "What happened?" I asked.

She stared me down and for a moment neither of them said anything. "I thought I couldn't have children."

"Nat—" Coulson interrupted and her eyes shifted to him.

"No, Coulson, this is about her she has a right to know." Her eyes shifted back to me and she continued. "The Red Room sterilized me many many years ago, so I thought I couldn't have children. Then Budapest happened. Five months in hell trying to get back in touch with SHIELD because the extraction plan was a bust, as usual. We couldn't get out of the country, the bad guy pretty much owned everyone on border patrol. We couldn't get within five miles of the border, the fire was too heavy so we waited. Made our own safe house and stayed there.