EIGHT ~ A Truth

Chapter 8

Claire

As soon as Clark's eyes found me I logged off and walked out. I headed straight to the van and wasted no time grabbing my stuff. I heard Clark shouting my name as I walked away, but I feared if I stopped and heard him out I just might kill him. And dead bodies in public places are a hassle to cover up.

So I kept walking trying to remain calm and not whip out one of the many guns in my bag.
"C'mon Claire... c'mon Claire, don't kill him. Don't kill him... not yet." I muttered to myself, but all of that flew out the window when I was shoved into an alleyway with a gun at my back.

"Sorry sis, but I can't let you leave." Annndd there goes my non-murderous streak. Slowly I put my duffle bag on the ground. Any sudden movements and this douche-wad may accidentally or purposely put a bullet in my spine. Before his villainous monologue could continue I quickly disarmed him and turned the gun on him while backing up a bit.

"Whoa!" He exclaimed, putting his hands up. "Don't shoot! Please don't shoot!" He said quite loudly, grabbing attention from the sidewalk. Some people screamed and others pulled out their phones to either record or call the police. I quickly put the gun in my waistband, grabbed my duffle bags and began walking away.

"Clark, I'm gonna find you...and you won't like it when I do." With that I hightailed it out of there, exiting the alleyway from the other side. I walked quickly on the sidewalk not necessarily knowing where I was heading and It wasn't long before frustrated tears escaped from my eyes.

Why does this always happen to me?

All I wanted was a family. All I still want is a family but now I don't know whats real anymore. Was Clark still my brother? Did he lie about my twin sister? Was he lying about my other siblings? I don't even know any of their names, much less where exactly they are.

And at the moment I'm stranded, not even sure which state I'm in, without any place to stay for the night. Now in times like this I would refer to my SHIELD contacts but since half of them are either dead or hydra and the other half is unreachable I'm running out of options.

I guess I could try and call Maria. Last I heard she was working at Stark Industries but that info is from like a year ago. It couldn't hurt to call though. Maybe she'll even help me find Clark and help me bury his body.

I turned and walked in the direction of the park I saw on my way here. It wasn't that far if I remember correctly but this bag might cut off the circulation in my arm if it is.

By the time I got to the park it was darker than it was when I began walking but I could still just barely see the sun through the trees so it isn't too bad. I sat underneath a tall tree rather than a bench. If I ended up staying the night here I would be less likely to get kicked out by the police than if I stayed on a bench.

Opening my bags I rummaged around and sighed in anger. Some of my money was gone but not so much that I wouldn't last a couple days. I pushed my clothes out of the way and got to my phones. The three were all burner phones and now that I think about it they are pretty similar to my personal phone. Bringing these things along didn't seem like a good idea at first or even an idea worth trying out but it was better safe than sorry and now I owe myself an I-told-ya-so.

I started with the most unfamiliar phone and as I flipped through the contacts I realized how outdated it was. Going through the names I muttered to myself;

"Dead, dead, dead, HYDRA , dead, most likely dead, HYDRA, HYDRA, HYDRA, dead..."

I only got through a few more names before I decided It was time to move on. I picked up the next phone and immediately tossed it back into the bag. That wasn't a burner phone it was the phone I used two and a half years ago on the Levine Family mission. I took a moment or two before moving onto the most familiar phone.

I flipped the phone in my hands before finally turning it on and going through the favorites instead of the contacts. For reasons unknown, Fury was the first name and I almost pressed it if only to curse him out with extremely colorful language for bringing Clark into my life, but I decided against it.

Next was Maria's number and I pressed the call button with so much force I thought I might've broken it. The line rang; once... twice... again... again...

"...If you would like to leave a message please press-"

"Well thanks for your emergency number Maria, it sure came in handy when I really needed it." I said to no one bitterly. Sighing I moved on and the next name had my eyes watering with more angry tears.

Was he lying about Coulson too?

Wiping my eyes tried to shake myself out of this pit of despair.

"C'mon Claire you're a bad bitch stop being a baby!" I said to myself and wow I should really just become a motivational speaker.

Skipping Phil's number, (because he's probably still dead and I don't wanna hear the dial tone) I stumbled upon my moms number...and unfortunately after that was my dads number...

Well I guess I'll try my luck with Phil.

I clicked his number and held the phone up to my ear, waiting for the dial tone and the sadness but instead someone picked up the phone. I say someone because no one spoke. After a moment of mutual silence I spoke.

"Um...Uncle Phil I don't know if that's you... or your ghost... but I'm in trouble, or at least I think I am. I'd love to explain it to you but I can't remember if this line is secure or not. All I think I can tell you is that my parents have a lot of explaining to do but I don't wanna hear them talk." I unintentionally sniffled and I could already feel the tears burning my eyes for the third time today.

"I swear I'm not being a crybaby but my resourcefulness is shot, as much as I hate to admit it. I can kick ass If need be but two years is a long time. Also I'm not exactly sure where I am... I'd say I have a pretty good idea of where I am just to not get in trouble but honestly I'm take anything at this point... Im really tired. And if this isn't you then whoever this is; by now you should know that I have resorted to talking to a dead guy so if you wanna do me a solid-"

"Claire." I stopped dead. Actually no, Phil stopped being dead. Because I am 98% sure that's him on the other line. The other 2% is the possibility of some psycho cat fishing me. I couldn't find the words to respond but I don't really think I needed to because the next couple words were all I needed to hear. "We're on our way."

____