FOURTEEN ~ A Leap Of Faith

Chapter Fourteen

•Kylie•

You know the best part of jumping out of a plane?

Nothing.

There is absolutely no goddamn reason a human being should jump out of a fricken plane. Now, some might disagree; those people are crazy.

At the moment I stood at the edge of the cargo hold getting ready to manually open the cargo door. I'm not scared per say...just a bit... uncomfortable with this idea. Now technically it was my idea but it could easily be blamed on literally everyone else.

I took a deep breath and bounced on the balls of my feet. I had read the instruction manual ten times over but the possibility of dying was still eminent.

"Okay, Okay, c'mon Kylie put on your big girl pants." I told myself, "Cmon, Claire could do this no problem."

"Actually," a voice said from behind me. I whipped around to see Agent May. "Valentine would jump without a parachute but try to catch someone else with a parachute on the way down." I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Really?" I'm surprised, Claire seemed at least a little intelligent. May nodded.

"Yeah she was kind of a dumbass when it came to danger," she admitted. "but not you."

I chuckled, "Judging by how long ago I should've jumped I guess I am kind of a wuss."

"That's not what I mean. Sanders, you think things out before committing to them. You didn't join SHIELD just because. You're smart and Claire needs that kind of clarity with her."

"So you knew about this?"

"I cornered Valentine before she left, told her I'd make sure you got to where you're going." May answered and held up a remote in her hand. "So you'd better get going."

My eyebrows furrowed as she pressed a button on the remote and my heart dropped as I felt the wind trying to suck me out of the plane. I grabbed ahold of one of the seats.

"Kylie!" May shouted over the roaring. "Get your ass down there before Valentine does something stupid!"

I took a deep breath and willed myself not to pass out. Then after clearing my mind of thoughts of painful, gory, imminent death, I let go of the seat and dove out of the plane.

•Melinda May•

As soon as she dove out of the plane Brett Parrish stepped out of the shadows with the same gear Sanders had on. He pulled on a few straps and checked his gear.

"Don't let her see you, but don't lose her." I ordered.

"Yes Ma'am." And with that he stepped up to the edge of the cargo door and free fell out of the plane.

•Claire•

Well that went well. I was still in the bathroom, though fully clothed and Seth was downstairs probably trying to process that I'm an assassination drone. I told him about my brother and sister and my little debacle with SHIELD. Saying it all out loud just made me realize how crazy and dangerous the last few days have been but he had to see this coming. I mean I explained my hereditary Barton Luck at the beginning of our relationship, so I'm not so sure why he's this surprised.

Anyway now I was alone, again, faced with another not so smart choice. In my hands was the Terrigen crystal Kylie gave me. I know I said I'd wait for her and I don't want to do this without her but the shot she gave me didn't ease my mind. Agent May said I had 48 hours but paranoia says I have maybe half that.

"Do you want to watch Star Wars, Love?" Seth shouted from downstairs and the suggestion made me smile. He knows I'm a slut for the force.

"Sure!" I shouted back, taking one last longing look at the terrigen crystal I went to set it on the counter top when the doorbell rang. It was pretty late for someone to be coming around so for a moment I just listened.

Putting the crystal in my back pocket I walked quietly into the bedroom. The sound of Seth opening the door and then talking to whoever was there made me tense. I kinda wish he'd take the fact that I'm on the run into consideration before he goes opening doors for people he isn't expecting.

My bag was sitting beside the bed, courtesy of Seth bringing it up for me. As quietly as I could I opened the bag while still listening to what was happening downstairs. Suddenly there was a grunt, a loud thump and a groan.

Quickly, I snatched a gun out of my bag and burst into the hall pointing my gun down at the intruder on the stairs. Once I registered the face of the intruder the adrenaline coursing through me dialed down. With a heavy sigh of relief I pointed the gun away from Kylie who had her hands raised in surrender.

"What the hell are you doing I almost shot you?!" I scolded whereas she scoffed.

"Are you kidding? I had an energy blast ready to go, you're lucky your still alive." She shot back and I rolled my eyes.

"Why didn't you text me, we had a system." I reminded her but she gave me an annoyed look.

"I did. Five times. You weren't answering so I assumed something was wrong and seeing a stranger at the door didn't help." I gasped lightly as I remembered the large thump I heard earlier. Circling around to the stairs I went down the hard wooden steps quickly and Kylie got out of my way.

Seth was zip-tied to the post at the bottom of the stairs and he looked pretty out of it. Turning to glare and berate Kylie,I barely got any words out of my mouth before I missed a step and busted my ass on the last remaining steps.

The way I went down the steps could be compared to a child just playing around. Scooting from step to step. At this moment in time the scooting was more of a plopping but thankfully only for the last few steps. Still doesn't change the fact that now my shit hurts. Especially with what I had in my back pocket. Actually, even more so when I realized what what I have in my back pocket.

Kylie's voice asking me if I was okay was muffled as I was looking at Seth with complete fear. He was sitting right next to me...and the mist, oh jeez, the mist engulfed him as it did me and suddenly all I could see was darkness.

•Kylie•

Did this chick...have the crystal... iN HER BACK POCKET?! Is she crazy or insane? Dumb or stupid? A bad decision maker or a poor option chooser? Plot twist, they are all right answers!

At the bottom of the steps Claire's cocoon stared at the guy who was pretty unconscious before and is now even more incapacitated. As bad as it sounds, I hope he wasn't too important because there's no way of telling whether or not he'll make it.

______

Yikes 😬. Will Seth make it? Maybe you can decide👀.