THIRTEEN ~ A Safe Place

Chapter 13

•Claire•

The walk into town was long but necessary. I had to get as far away from the mission site as I could before calling for a cab or anything. My blue and black flannel was now tied around my waist as I stood waiting for the cab. I was on the edge of town so it'll be awhile until I get to the safe house.

While I was walking I wondered how my life had gone to shit once again. The answer was obviously Clark but the question weighed heavier than that. It was a universal question. Why do I continuously get shitted on? Sure I had two good years. Made a few friends, got to pretend I was normal... But I guess the luck ran out.

In the cab I stared out of the window, even though it was getting pretty dark and there was nothing to see. Paying attention to cab driver was probably a good idea, but according to my laziness I would be okay if I didn't stare at him the whole ride. I'm not sure exactly how many people want to kill me these days but I'm not very motivated to find out. My legs lacked feeling at this point anyway and if I knew I wasn't so close then I would take a little power nap, but alas five minutes later the driver stopped four doors away from my safe place.

Heaving a heavy sigh, I lifted myself out of the cab. The extra weight of my fully stocked backpack was enough to make me stumble. After I caught my balance I closed the door and waited until the cab drive off before continuing to my destination.

When I finally reached the flat I pressed the buzzer and suddenly a spike of adrenaline took the place of my exhaustion. I could hear the footsteps from inside and my palms got sweatier. Then I heard the lock being turned, then the handle and finally I was safe.

You see I would call it a safe house but the house isn't what I'm calling safe. My safe place? Seth.

"Surprise!" I said with as much energy as the dehydration would let me.

•Kylie•