FIFTEEN ~ A Lead

Chapter Fifteen

•Claire•

It's been an hour since Seth burst out of the cocoon and half an hour since he kicked both me and Kylie out.

"Well that's it...there goes the last normal thing in my life. I might as well join another super secret organization that specializes in turning my life upside down. What do you think?" I questioned Kylie.

"I think...that you're overdue for some ice cream! And then we'll find a lead on your sister and everything is going to be okay!" She reassured me cheerfully. I gave my partner a weak smile.

"Well I doubt that, and I guess you could say i'm overreacting, but i'm pretty sure my life is over." It may actually be literally over soon if the worst comes.

"Uh...yeah thats a little over the top. I mean If you think about it its not even that bad!" The look on Kylie's face showed her obviously cursing herself internally for the bullshit she just spewed.

"My adoptive brother is trying to mind control me and the sister i've never met all the while uprooting my life for some mission that doesn't even exist. My parents are fugitives in basically every country and never really wanted me to begin with. I turned my boyfriend into an inhuman and then he dumped me because why wouldn't he? Kylie, please tell me how this isn't a shitstorm." For a moment we were both silent, that is until Kylie thought of one of those so-called reasons to move on.

"You don't have much else to lose." Kylie states and the words were like flipping a switch in my mind. I straightened up and took a deep breath, effectively reigning in all my bullshit.

"I guess you're right, I'm at rock bottom now the only way it gets worse is if I'm six feet below that." I said almost cheerfully.

Kylie squinted worriedly at me but progress is progress. "A little morbid but yeah that's the spirit! Now can we mope somewhere else I don't feel like dealing what nighttime in England is like." We put their packs on our backs and began walking in the direction of the second safe house before hearing a ringtone neither of us recognized. Oddly enough it was coming from my bag.

While still walking I pulled the burner phone from my bag to see a text from an unknown number.

231 Gilly Street
-C

"Umm, what the hell?" My eyebrows furrowed at the message and Kylie's followed suit after being shown the message. "Is that Coulson?"

Kylie shrugged, "I mean it could be, who else would you expect?"

"Well there's Clark, my dad Clint, my florist Callie, my dentist Clifford, Mrs. Campbell from next door or y'know fricking Calliou... basically it could be anyone." There were plenty more C names that I could go through but I didn't exactly have the patience to list them all.

"Well let's go and find out." Suggests Kylie, "If we're in immediate danger maybe your powers will show up!"

"I would really appreciate it if you weren't so cheery about the being put in danger part."