The real you

I keep my head down as I pace around at the school gates, waiting for Summer. I'd sent her in to see if there were any stories about me going around.

Of course she'd asked me why and what was wrong but I couldn't bring myself to tell her.

Yes, she and Natalie had become great friends to me but I wasn't sure I was ready to share my past with them yet, after all it's them I'm betraying the most.

   "Nobody's saying anything about you" Summer exclaims as she returns. Her face full of concern and curiosity.

I sigh looking at her blue eyes that are usually so wide and full of life, are now dull and darker looking.

   "I've been lying to you, well everyone about who I am" I confess quickly. Her eyebrows shoot up. "I'm not this good of a person. In fact I'm quite the opposite. I'm a shitty person with a shitty attitude and no limit" Summer glares at me in disbelief. Her mouth opens to say something but  the bell interrupts and she closes her mouth. "I know you probably have a lot of questions and I promise I will try answer them because honestly, you're the first female friend I've ever had and I like it" I smile weakly at her.

She blinks at me.

Her face expressionless.

She gives me a single nod of her head and turns towards school. Strolling away, not caring if I'm following or not.

Well that's not how I ever expected that to go....

...

   "So your parents didn't kill you?" Flynn voice questions in front of me. He's leaning against his bike, looking cold from the winter air.

I stop and glance around the deserted school grounds. I deliberately stayed back to be one of the last to leave.

Has he been waiting for me?

All day I'd managed to avoid everyone and if I couldn't, I gave them a weak smile and hung my head, letting them know that I wasn't in the mood for talking; even Flynn got the hint. We had four classes together and he never spoke a word to me through any of them. I hide in the library through break and lunch, wanting to give Summer space.

   "I guess not" I say in a croak and continue walking.

   "I didn't say anything to anyone" He tells me.

   "Thanks" I keep my answers short, not really wanting to talk about this.

   "Do you want to tell me what all that was about the other night?" He asks outright.

I shake my head. "Not really" I say walking around his motorbike.

   "I guess I'll just have to ask around and see what people know about you"

   "Don't" I stop and turn to face him.

He looks irritated, probably because I won't answer him. "Then tell me" His tone is soft but it still comes out as a demand.

I glance around, making sure there is nobody around. I gaze straight into his grey eyes and take a long breath. "My parents moved us here so I could have a clean start, away from everyone who knew me. I needed a fresh beginning"

   "Okay but why pretend to be someone you're not?" He raises an eyebrow at me questionably. "Because the girl I caught a glimpse of the other night seemed pretty bad-ass. I can't imagine she had problems finding friends, well apart from that Lauren girl" He chuckles lightly.

   "She is bad-ass. Was" I correct. "But she didn't really have friends. She had a bad attitude, a short temper and a tendency to get bored easily" I admit lower my gaze to my feet, where I kick a few stones from in front of me. "She also has a lot of offenses " Unsure why I'm referring to myself in the third person, I return my gaze to his eyes. "If I get one more before I turn eighteen... I'm going to jail"

Flynn looks momentarily stunned by my confession.  "So you changed who you are entirely?" I nod in response. "I'm sure you could have improved your behavior without changing yourself completely"

I shrug my shoulders. "I guess It's easier to change everything about yourself than just one impossible thing. Please don't tell anyone" I plead.

He give a nod of his head. "You need a ride home?" He offers noticing nobody waiting for me.

   "Nah, I'm good thanks" I shake my head. "I need the air, besides I'm grounded so the walk home is the only bit of freedom I'll get" I say cheerier.

   "Lover boy will be gutted" Flynn says, that mischievous smirk appearing on his face.

Honestly I'd completely forgotten about Anthony. My date with him tomorrow is the last thing on my mind.

   "If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were jealous" I walk backwards and grin teasingly at him.

Flynn huffs dismissively and rolls his eyes, "Don't flatter yourself Shawshank" 

Oh great, a new nickname.

I turn and stroll home. a slight smile playing on my lips as I think about my conversation with Flynn. Wait, when did I become so comfortable opening up to him? and trusting him not to tell anyone?

__

   "Leah" I hear my mother call from downstairs and pause the TV program I'm watching.

I'm about to call back when there's a knock on my bedroom door.

   "What are you doing here?" I question Flynn as he enters my room and closes the door after himself. "How did you get past my parents?"

   "Please, you're parents love me" He says cockily and I glower at him. "Okay so maybe I told them we were working on our history project" He grins, his dimple showing on his right cheek. "So what movie we watching first?" He asks, plonking himself on the bed next to me, making himself comfortable.

I look quizzically at him. "Did I not just get rid of you like an hour ago?"

Seeing as Summer still hasn't spoken to me since yesterday morning I remained on the down-low again, still managing to avoid everyone; except Flynn, who of course found every opportunity possible to annoy me.

   "Yes, but you still seemed a bit low so..." He reaches down and picks up his backpack, pouring out it's contents. DVD's, my favourite sweets, crisps and bottles of Pepsi, the most precious, now rest in between our legs. "..I thought you could use some company" He smiles his genuine smile at me and I feel myself soften to him.

Flynn puts on a DVD and I help myself to the bag of Maltesers.

We both lean against the headboard with our legs stretched out in front of us. My neglected phone lays next to me, suddenly lighting up to notify me of a message.

Summer:  Am I really ur only grl frnd?

I feel myself smiling at my phone.

   "Who's that? Lover boy?" Flynn asks, leaning over to read my text, which I allow. "Summer's the only girl friend you've had?" He says shocked.

Leah: Yes!

I type and send it without answering Flynn.

Summer: Ok.

Summer: I miss u.

Summer: but I want to kno the real u.

Summer: We'll tlk 2mro x

I feel my smile broaden with every message she sends.

Leah: u will. tlk ltr. xx

   "What did you do?" Flynn asks curiously, without taking his eyes from the screen and I know exactly what he's on about. I turn my head to look at him. The flicker of colors from the screen bouncing off his eyes. His eyes blink and open again, only he's looking into my eyes.  "I promise I won't tell a soul"

I hesitate, trying to decide on trusting him and getting slightly lost in his eyes. "A bit of everything really" I confess "theft, destruction of property, GTA, underage drinking" I list them off and he struggles to hold in his laugh. "What?" I scowl.

   "You're not very good at escaping are you?" He chuckles and I can't help but join in.

I shake my head.

Obviously I'm not.