Time passes

I stare at my reflection in the floor length mirror, barely recognizing the girl staring back. It's been so long since I've made an effort on my appearance, that I almost forgot what a confidence boost it can be, well for me anyway.

After telling me I was going, Aaron dragged me shopping and bought me a new dress; just a simple black bandage dress that I styled with my new leather jacket and strappy high-heels.

After telling me I was going, Aaron dragged me shopping and bought me  a new dress; just a simple black bandage dress that I styled with my  new leather jacket and strappy high-heels

Regardless of my confidence and my outfit, I was still debating with myself whether to go or not. Everyone was going to be there, everyone I haven't seen in almost two months.

There's a faint knock on my door and when I turn, my mother is stood smiling at me. "You look gorgeous baby-girl"

I cross the room to her in three long strides and embrace her, burying my head in her shoulder. "I'm sorry for everything" I look up into her eyes and notice that sadness in them. "This past year hasn't been easy on any of us and I didn't make it any easier. I..."

    "It's okay" She intervenes. "You and Davey weren't just siblings, you were best friends and he was taken away from you." She sniffles as tears fill her eyes. "...then Aaron and Holly left for college and you just made a few wrong turns. I knew you were just a little lost but look at you now" She whimpers, "You're a strong, beautiful, independent young lady; but don't ever be afraid to ask for help or to put your heart on the line" She wipes the tears from her face and smiles. "You have a family and friends who love you, no matter what and we'll always be around when you need us"

I wrap my arms back around her and try to blink back my tears but I can't, her words are playing on my heart strings.

    "I love you mam"

    "I love you too baby" She subsides her blubbering and smiles  broadly at me, "Now go have a great night and stay out of trouble"

    "I'll make sure of it" Aaron's voice chimes from behind her and a grin spreads across my face.

    "What are you doing here?" I question, noticing his dressed in denim jeans, a white shirt and timberland boots.

    "I had to make sure you actually went to this party" He smirks, knowing that it wouldn't be the first time I said I'd go somewhere and then not turn up. "Holly's downstairs, she's dying to see you" He turns and holds out his arm for me to link "Let's roll" He grins.

...

My hands are shaking nervously and I don't even know why. Most of these people know me for me, well now anyway.

    "Let's go" Holly chirps gleefully.

I'd almost forgotten just how like Summer she is. The constant positive attitude and cheerfulness over any little thing.

Aaron appears between us and Holly links his arm.

He turns his head and looks at me, smiling. "I'm right here if you need me" He reassures me and takes my hand in his. "Hey look, there's Nat" He nods in her direction before dragging me across the room.

    "LEAH!" She yells ecstatically and pounces towards me, wrapping her arms around me. "I'm so happy you came"

"Thanks" I smile timidly. "I hope you don't mind but I brought some friends" I say as Summer joins us, "I'm sure ya already know Aaron" I point to him and they nod, smiling warmly at him. "And this is Holly, Aaron's girlfriend and good friend of mine"

    "Leah was the one who actually set us up"

    "Yeah she seems to have a talent for doing that" Benji chuckles, wrapping an arm around Summer's waist and shaking Aaron and Holly's hands with the other.

    "The matchmaker" Natalie chuckles and I suddenly notice her hand intertwined with Carl's.

Finally!

I shake my head at her. "I just gave yas a nudge in the right direction" I giggle, feeling familiarly comfortable in their presence.

    "Like this" Summer says before physically nudging my hip with hers and sending me staggering sideways, bumping into someone.

Feeling that person's hands on me sends a warm tingle through me. I don't even need to look up to know who it is. His familiar scent, fills my senses and my heart goes into overdrive.

    "Flynn" I say, the corners on my mouth twitching into a faint smile as I steady myself and fix my dress.

    "Leah" He says faintly, sending a shiver up my spine. How can someone simply saying your name have such an effect on you?

    "Hey Flynn" A female voice chimes "Wanna dance?" I look past him to see a pretty brunette stood there smiling politely at me.

She stands next to him, wrapping her arms around him possessively. "Hi, I'm Jenny" She chirps.

I feel my heart come to a sudden stop. It feels like it's sunk straight to the pit of my stomach. I feel my polite smile falter and struggle to keep it.

My gaze returns to Flynn, our eyes lock and I can't read his expression. Guilt? Regret? Sorrow? Sympathy?

    "I have to go" I somehow manage to say, finding it difficult to catch my breath.

I spin on my heels and stride away as fast as I can, feeling all my friends eyes on me.

    "Leah, wait" Flynn calls after me. His footsteps closing in behind me. "We need to talk" He grabs my wrist before I can even take a step off the dance floor. He spins me so that I'm look at him. "You can't just leave without saying anything"

    "You were the one who just walked out of the hospital" I snap.

    "You didn't even come back to school!" He growls and turns, running his hands through his hair in frustration. "nearly two fucking months Leah," He turns back to face me. His grey eyes look darker, like they always do when he's angry or frustrated.

    "I don't know what to tell you Flynn.." I speak calmly to him, Not wanting to fight tonight. Not at Natalie's party and not with all these people watching. "..but I can tell ya, you were right; It doesn't matter how much time passes..."

I turn and stroll out of the function room.

I know I can't go home, Aaron would allow me anyway; but I do need air and a strong drink before I even attempt to return.

Subconsciously I knew it was the beginning of a long night..